Summer to school: how to manage transitioning

Photo courtesy of Leah Kubacka
Trinity students began the 2023-2024 school year on September 5, 2023. Go Hillers!

As the summer months come to a close and the season transitions into fall, adapting to the new school year provides a hurdle for students to face as they trade relaxing by the pool for studying for their AP courses. It never seems to get any easier, so The Hiller staff comes to the rescue for students everywhere with their expert advice to ease the pain of adjusting to the back-to-school grind. 

As with most transitions in life, going back to school comes with an immense amount of stress. From balancing new classes with life outside of school to figuring out how to learn again, stress is a common side effect of being back at school after three months of relaxation. What steps can be taken to manage this overwhelming time that everyone goes through?

Most students spend their summer with friends and family doing whatever activities they want and not having to conform to any specific schedule. However, school brings along a busy schedule with it, and there’s no doubt it’s difficult to adjust to. When getting used to the new schedule, taking a step back and taking everything one step at a time is extremely beneficial when readjusting to the busy lifestyle. 

“Take it one day at a time. Everyone takes a while to adjust. I would suggest to just stay patient and trust the process,” recommends Assistant Editor-in-Chief Zoe Neelen.

While it is easy to become overwhelmed with all of the work that needs done, there are a few ways to alleviate this stress. For example, having a planner to simply map out what needs to be done can do so much to ease the mind. Studies show that having a to-do list of assignments with their due dates and being able to check them off as they’re completed makes for a great way to stay organized, focused and not overwhelmed. 

Sports Editor Charlotte Magon notes, “When I get stressed I get a planner and write down what I have to do and what I want to do and goals for how to complete that. It’s easier to manage getting back into school when you have a plan.”

Students who have a job outside of school may find the transition back to school more difficult than those who do not. While balancing a full school schedule, they are also going to work outside of that.

Editor-in-Chief Addison Paul gives the advice that becoming overworked is not worth it in the long run. Saving time to go to football games on Fridays as well as time with family and friends is imperative as the time in high school is swiftly passing by and these opportunities will cease to exist sooner rather than later. 

Media Editor Dresden Bouman provides that “glamorizing” going back to school is an important and different approach to staying motivated. She remarks that finding something or someone to inspire students while they’re in school is the key to staying motivated to get work done and stay productive.

“Honestly, just romanticize going back to school in a way that motivates you and inspires you. Try to find something to motivate you or a role model,” she says.

Overall, the recommendation to students struggling with the transition from summer to school is to stay organized and understand that if they feel like they are falling behind or struggling, never be afraid to ask for help.

“Any adjustment takes a while, but you can do anything you put your mind to,” Neelen adds.