WWCD?

Photo courtesy of Dresden Bouman

Next years Chelsea is Dresden Bouman. She’s been a great addition to the Hiller staff and I know she will have great advice for our student body!

As another school year dwindles to an end, seniors begin to feel the effects of graduation on the horizon. Many wish they never had to leave high school while others already have one foot out the door. 

No matter how you’re feeling, those feelings are very valid. For the past thirteen years of our lives all students have known is the four-wall classroom setting that we’ve grown to love in many ways. 

It has been a pleasure giving the student body advice throughout the year. My final question is how to navigate your emotions with leaving high school. What would Chelsea do?

Now, personally, I understand the fear of what’s to come. Being anxious about what-if situations and wondering how scary college and the real world really are is a completely normal reaction. 

The biggest point I have to stress is that you’ve been prepared for this. The countless hours that have been poured into the classroom are your key to settling the anxiety. While preparing students for rigorous college classes, high school also offers students a way to branch out educationally and explore all sorts of career paths. 

Make sure to celebrate the achievements leading up to graduation and the summer. Graduating high school is a great achievement; try not to let the negative thoughts outweigh the good. There are many events leading up to graduation to celebrate seniors, so take advantage of these cherishable memories. 

My last piece of advice is to start forging a new direction for yourself. Seniors are now starting to head out into the real world, and it is time for students to start planning what they want to do in the future. Being able to prepare for the future now helps as it provides hope for the future and excitement for what’s to come. 

As I close out my final piece of advice, I want to say how grateful I am to have been able to write these advice pieces for all of you. Being Chelsea has been an eye-opening experience, and I’m very excited to pass it on to Dresden Bouman. 

They are an amazing addition to the Hiller staff and I know they will give students the utmost best advice. Congratulations to the Class of 2023 and good luck to the underclassmen as they continue finishing their high school careers. It’s a long road, but you’ve got this.