Student of the Month: May – Emily Wickham

Photo courtesy of Emily Wickham

I am pleased to nominate Emily Wickham for THS Student of the Month for May. I have known Emily, as a student, for the past three years. She has taken my Honors Debate I, II and III courses at Trinity High School.

The first words that come to mind when I think of Emily are affable and diligent. Emily will come to my classroom after school and before her club meetings and classes to discuss grades, books, movies, and life. She makes the time to ask questions, get to know you, and build a relationship. I believe this is a treasured skill in today’s day and age. Emily is extremely diligent in all her classes, many of which are Advanced Placement courses.

Emily’s decision for film production and directing at such an early age is resolute and innovative. She has designed her classes, clubs, and interests all in favor of supporting her career. Emily has participated in Forensics Club and served in leadership roles as the Yearbook editor, DECA President, and National Honor Society Treasurer. Moreover, she was the videographer for the musical for two years and set up the software to live stream all the concerts this year.

Emily has been involved in community service ever since she was a freshman; as a member of the Trinity Leadership Committee, she was part of the core leadership chairpersons that lead the team to win the Washington County Citizenship Award for Community Service in 2021, 2022, and 2023. In 2021, she was the only sophomore on the TLC/Multiplying Good Jefferson Award team that won the PA state competition for public service. In 2021 and 2022, Emily worked the Washington County Election polls as a poll worker. She further went on to visit classrooms and created PSAs to remind students to register to vote. For all of her work, she won the PA Governor’s Civic Award. She is making the PSA for May 2023 as well. Finally, in

April 2023, the TLC won the Pittsburgh Gold Banner Award for Multiplying Good. It was mostly based on a team-speaking presentation with a 30+ picture collage highlighting service from the year. A strict rubric had to be followed for eight minutes; Emily organized the photos, divided up the content for herself and the four other speakers, made sure that the rubric was followed, and practiced with the students. Clearly, her leadership has represented herself and Trinity High School in an extremely positive light.

Through all her endeavors, she has consistently demonstrated strong character and a growth mindset that will certainly lend to her future success; Emily Wickham is truly deserving of the honor of being named the THS Student of the Month.

Nominated by Mrs. Elizabeth Merich