Student of the Month: April – Brett Phillips

Photo courtesy of Brett Phillips

I am pleased to nominate Brett Phillips for THS Student of the Month for April. In my career at Trinity, Brett is one of the finest people and students that I have experienced. The breadth and quality of his achievements are a testament to his character and abilities as a gentleman, scholar, and Renaissance man.

Academically, Brett has challenged himself by taking ten AP classes and seven Honors classes in the core subjects, as well as a variety of electives, all while achieving at the very top of his class, which has earned him induction into the National Honor Society. Additionally, Brett has attended summer college programs at Notre Dame and Duke Universities and Hillsdale College. Extending his learning beyond the classroom, he has participated in and won awards with the

Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science, HOSA, Math League, STEM Club, and Varsity Academic League. In doing so, he has demonstrated the intellectual curiosity and the pursuit of learning of a scholar.

In the Arts, Brett has been one of the most accomplished musicians in Trinity’s history. Brett has played in the Trinity Orchestra, Symphonic Band, Jazz Ensemble, and Clarinet Ensemble, the Washington Symphony Orchestra, the Pittsburgh Youth Philharmonic Orchestra, as well as qualifying to play with the PMEA District, Regional and State Orchestras the past three years. Moreover, Brett has served as the Assistant Concert Master, Concert Master, and President of the Tri-M Music Honor Society at Trinity, and Concert Master, Overture Mentor, and Student

Conductor with the Pittsburgh Youth Philharmonic Orchestra.

Athletically, Brett has competed and lettered in three varsity sports Swimming, Rifle, and Track as a Hiller. He was a member of the Section title winning Rifle Team, which placed third and seventh at the WPIAL and PIAA Team Tournaments.

Socially, Brett is an active and contributing member of the community, who is recognized as a leader by his peers and adults. This is evidenced by his work as a volunteer with the  Washington County Food Bank, Washington Hospital, Strabane Woods Assisted Living Community, Tri-M and National Honor Societies, Student Council Treasurer, Prom Committee, and winning the American Legion Award.

Based on the distinction of his character and performance, I believe Brett Phillips is deserving of the honor of being named the THS Student of the Month.

Nominated by Mr. Thomas Lee