Fall into Autumn reading recommendations

Pictured is the intriguing cover to Mr, Sparrows book, “Coulro.” Students on the lookout for more Fall reads are more than welcome to ask their English teachers about books they might enjoy!  There are many great reads coming out this season like “Now is Not the Time to Panic” by Kevin Wilson.

Photo courtesy of Mr. Swarrow.

Pictured is the intriguing cover to Mr, Sparrows book, “Coulro.” Students on the lookout for more Fall reads are more than welcome to ask their English teachers about books they might enjoy! There are many great reads coming out this season like “Now is Not the Time to Panic” by Kevin Wilson.

The crisp Autumn leaves, the cool temperatures, a mug of hot chocolate and a great book are the epitomes of the Fall season.

As we embark into the depths of November, many bookworms are searching for their next great read. Whether students are looking for a mystery, nonfiction, thriller or a book that simply puts them into the Fall spirit, welcome to the place! 

There are many different genres and styles for each and every person that can pull the reader farther into the festiveness of the season.

“I like to read spooky and ominous books to get into the Fall spirit. These books consist of Stephen King and Dean Koontz novels, or anything that gets the reader in the cozy autumn mood,” says Junior Carrie Proudfit. 

Despite preferences, there are many great books to dive right into for a great Fall reading experience. 

Here are reviews of three books that will definitely get the reader into the festive spirit. 

Number #1 “The Book Thief” by Marcus Zusak

It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier and will be busier still.

Liesel’s life is changed when she picks up a single object, partially hidden in the snow. It is The Gravedigger’s Handbook, left behind there by accident, and is her first act of book thievery. So begins a love affair with books and words, as Liesel, with the help of her accordion-playing foster father, learns to read. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book burnings, the mayor’s wife’s library and wherever there are books to be found.

But these are dangerous times. When Liesel’s foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Liesel’s world is both opened up and closed down.

While this book isn’t particularly festive, it is an amazing read that encapsulates the Fall vibe. 

Number #2 “Charlotte Walsh Likes to Win” by Jo Piazza

This story is about a successful woman in Silicon Valley who moves with her husband and three daughters to her small hometown outside of Scranton, Pennsylvania, to run for the Senate and “make a difference.” Charlotte’s campaign brings light to many things that happen while preparing for an election. 

She’s keeping secrets that are getting harder to keep as the media spotlight shines brighter on her, especially because she’s a woman of the upper class and her opponent plays “dirty” with her secrets.

This book is great for the Fall because it pulls together political messages to get the reader interested in Election Day.

Number #3 “Coulro” by Brandon Swarrow and Jason Swinchock

Written by Trinity’s very own Mr. Swarrow, Coulro takes readers into a small rural town. There is an evil predator out there, lurking, stalking and mimicking the unspeakable ways of John Wayne Gacy. 

Its presence begins to cause strange and tragic events. Police and detectives investigate in an attempt to cure the town’s coulrophobia, but there’s one uninterruptible master of this dark clown army that continues to elude.

The book stars one previously abducted survivor, Lukas Nagy, who must first overcome his fears, to track the killer and try to put an end to the clown’s madness.

This book does a great job of pulling the reader’s mind into this great psychological thriller perfect for the Autumn weather. 

With so many books to jump into this season, readers should be on the lookout for many new releases. Whatever genre students prefer, these books are destined to put them into the Fall spirit. Let’s get reading Hillers!