Trinity’s new e-sports team “rockets” to success

Photo courtesy of Zoe Neelen

The Trinity e-sports team has been working hard during the year to prepare for their matches and competitions. They practice 4 days a week after school in the e-sports lab to prepare for their competitions. Good luck this season, e-sports team!

Last year Trinity officially started the e-sports class. In the class, students learn about video games from how they affect the mind to gaming safety to, of course, how to play them. Stereotypically, students outside of the class think that the club is just students just playing video games, but there is much more that goes into it. 

In the class, e-sport students complete activity logs that cover the details of their day. They also complete assignments on gaming in general, such as how to keep balance between your life and gaming and the harmful effects of playing video games too frequently. 

“The goal of the class is to calibrate work, play and balance, all while maintaining appropriate behavior and team bonding skills,” says Mr. Poletti, one of the teachers of the class. 

The team practices four times a week, Monday-Thursday from 2:30 p.m – 4:00 p.m. The team also has competitions from 4:00 p.m – 5:00 p.m. The team plays many different types of games, some of which include League of Legends, Rocket League, Super Smash Bros and Madden. Each game has a person who is exceptionally involved with it and those people are the ones who take charge running game sessions. 

While playing League of Legends, Hailey Riggle takes charge, Sailyn Kelly assists in helping run the Rocket League, Terri Scott helps run the Madden games and Piatt assists in running the Super Smash Bros and Overwatch. Piatt is a leader on the e-sports team and has contributed immensely in the media aspect of the team. Piatt has created the team’s Twitch account and Discord server where they stream games for others at home to watch. To watch the games the e-sports team plays, students can access them at Twitch.tv/tasd_hillers. 

The e-sports team is a fun, hard-working and determined team, full of accepting students who want to have fun doing what they love. 

“Come as you are, we are a pretty cool gang,” said one of the e-sports coaches Mr. Christy. 

Good luck to the e-sports team on their next season! If there are any questions regarding the team or how to join, students can contact Mr. Christy or Mr. Poletti and they and the whole team will embrace new members with open arms!