Trinity prevents bullying one step at a time

Photo courtesy of Mrs. Sagerer

Students from Trinity who were picked to be part of the Rachel’s Challenge club for showing and spreading kindness throughout the school. The club meets in the media center to work on projects that accentuate the acts of kindness in the school.

People always say “kill them with kindness,” but that can be difficult when students are faced with harsh words, comments and opinions from their peers. Bullying is a big problem in schools that affects students’ mental health, work ethic and confidence. Bullying is when one repeatedly completes an action that is harmful, physically, emotionally and mentally, to hurt another person. 

In a perfect world, bullying would be eliminated and everyone would uplift each other. Bullying is a huge distraction that takes students’ focus off their work and important everyday tasks. At Trinity High School, Principal Mr. Uram keeps visibility of all of the students to know what is going on. With over a thousand kids in the school, most would think it would be hard to keep track of all of the students, but with extra people like the officers, guidance counselors and the teachers, it is just possible to keep tabs on everyone. If a student is caught bullying another student, the situation will be addressed and the administration will take any necessary discipline procedures. 

Teachers’ classrooms should be a safe space where students can learn without distraction. Mrs. Sagerer, an advisor for Rachell’s Challenge, says she makes her room a safe space by making the atmosphere of her room warm and welcoming. In her room all students are treated fairly, respected and accepted no matter their background. On day one of school, she tells her students that bullying will not be tolerated or dealt with in her classroom. Sagerer says that helping run clubs like Rachel’s Challenge and GSA makes students feel accepted no matter who they are.

“We all have different stories and backgrounds that shape the way we are and act,” says Mrs. Amaismeier, one of the guidance counselors at the high school.

All it takes is a little bit of kindness to add positivity to a person’s day. 

According to Uram, “I feel like it’s easier to be nice than it is to be mean.”