Love for small businesses takes center stage

With+an+increase+in+social+media+presence+for+small+businesses%2C+it+is+easier+than+ever+to+get+in+touch+with+owners.+This+is+just+one+of+the+posts+from+the+Abbys+Beads+Instagram+page%21+

Photo courtesy of Abby Drezewski

With an increase in social media presence for small businesses, it is easier than ever to get in touch with owners. This is just one of the posts from the Abby’s Beads Instagram page!

With chain stores and online retailers running rampant, it seems as though anything that a person could want is at their fingertips. In this age, recognizing local entrepreneurs and their small business ventures has become a focal point for many consumers to preserve the individual atmosphere and products that they provide. Washington and its surrounding areas are home to countless hidden gems, but some may be more hidden than others.

The coffee business is certainly booming in Washington. The area boasts small shops such as Crazy Horse Coffee, The Table and Chicco Baccello, all within five miles of Trinity High School. Each of these businesses offers hand-crafted coffee and tea drinks in addition to some sweet and savory treats. 

Senior Lexi Koffler has worked at Crazy Horse Coffee for over eight months and sees a clear difference between small coffee shops and larger chain stores: “I can tell you from personal experience, every drink we make is filled with love and dedication, and we always do our best to not only put our best work out for the customers, but also to form a connection with our customers.”

Along with coffee, ice cream is a popular option for small businesses. Iceberg’s is located in a small building in downtown Canonsburg and features an extensive menu of milkshakes, sorbet and specialty sundaes. A beloved staple in Washington is Scotty’s Ice Cream Drive-In which offers a variety of ice cream flavors as well as a fully-functioning grill. Both of these businesses will reopen in the spring, but a great year-round spot to check out is Krency’s Ice Cream located just one mile from Trinity High School!

For those willing to travel a bit outside the city limits, Pittsburgh is home to countless small businesses and cute shops. Yinz Coffee is a Pittsburgh-themed shop with a specialty in cold brew among many other drinks and goods. Similarly, Cafe Raymond is located in the Strip District and offers various breakfast items and signature sandwiches and salads that are sure to impress even the harshest critic. 

Along with the many food and beverage options, Pittsburgh houses countless boutiques and specialty stores. Love Pittsburgh has three locations in the area. The gift shop carries apparel, stationary, journals, candles and more, all designed by Pittsburgh-based artists. 

Those looking to get lost can check out White Whale Bookstore, a family-owned shop located on Liberty Avenue or walk through Roxanne’s Dried Flowers in the Strip District which features a collection of natural, floral arts and botanical inspirations within a calming, vibrant atmosphere.

Much closer to home, multiple Trinity students have started their own businesses. Senior Rylee Salisbury owns a baking business called Gnomemade Sweets where she specializes in cookies and cake pops. The inspiration for her business came from baking with her mom when she was younger and falling in love with the process. Currently, students can support Salisbury’s business through her posts on Facebook and through word of mouth.

Junior Abby Drezewski began her jewelry business, Abby’s Beads, after she started making beaded necklaces during the original quarantine. She has an Instagram page with some inspiration pictures where customers can also place orders for customized necklaces, rings, bracelets and more. Drezewski believes that the hardest part of having her own business is customers being confused about the ordering form and customization process.

When asked about why she enjoys having a small business, Drezewski’s answer was clear.

“Making money doing something that I love all on my own time is a perfect situation!” she said.

A little bit of research and a sense of adventure can lead to uncovering one of these hidden gems, and customers are supporting local entrepreneurs in the process.