Counselors clear up confusion about Fine Arts

This image was accessed via Google Images under the Creative Commons License

Students who are interested in exploring their passion for music or art can find many different elective options at THS. Students usually create their schedules in the spring, so there is still a lot of time left to think about different course options.

Trinity offers a wide variety of elective classes, allowing students to select courses that interest them. This can be great for students with diverse interests; however, it can also cause some confusion over which credits count for fine arts. 

Before graduation, every high school student must complete at least two semesters of fine arts classes in order to earn 1 fine arts credit. This fact is mentioned at Freshman orientation and can also be found on the student scheduling sheets.

Art Courses

Art courses help to engage students in creative activities. They are primarily for students who are interested in having a creative outlet within their school day and allow students to get in touch with their “artsy” side. Students can have fun, relax and craft art pieces that reflect their passions and personalities. Courses included as art credits are all Design, Ceramics, Painting, Drawing and Illustration classes, as well as Digital Photography. 

English Courses 

The Journalism courses are the only English classes offered as fine art credits. They allow students to become proficient at interviewing, while also teaching different article writing strategies. Eventually, students on the Journalism track will have the opportunity to join the Hiller newspaper staff and have responsibilities related to the creation and distribution of the paper. Journalism is offered to students of all grades and can be taken through Senior year. 

Business and Technology Courses 

Students who are interested in working with computers, coding or website development would likely enjoy being in one of the technology fine arts classes. These courses would prompt creativity in students who are interested in the digital world and creating their own personal programs. Courses included as art credits are all Web Design classes, all Virtual Business classes, all Game Maker classes, AP Computer Science Principles and the Computer Programming with Alice class. 

Music Courses

Performing music is a great way for students to express creativity and explore their passions. Music classes are for people interested in performing different styles of music, either with an instrument or with their voices. They will  learn some facts about the history of music as well, depending on what course they decide to take. Classes included within the music fine arts credit are: Concert Band, Marching Band, Music Technology, Survey of Popular Music, String Orchestra, Guitar, Piano, Introduction to Music Theory and Technology, Auxiliary Skills Training, Concert Choir, Honors Chamber Choir, AP Music Theory and Introduction to Musical Theater. 

Industrial Technology Courses 

Industrial Technology classes are available for any students who enjoy designing and producing different materials. Students can do anything from working with hands-on construction projects to  putting together the televised morning announcements. Courses included as fine art credits are; Introduction to Technology, Woodworking, Introduction to Engine Mechanics, Metalworking, Communication Technology, Independent Drafting and Television Production. 

Family and Consumer Science Courses

Students who are interested in cooking, sewing or interior designing will likely find their place here. FCS courses teach students useful life skills that will help them in the future – such as how to cook food. Students can also feel free to get in touch with their creative side. Courses included as fine arts credits include Just the FACS (FCS survey) and all Culinary Arts classes. 

Guidance counselor Mrs. Amaismeier encourages students to take advantage of art credits: “Trinity offers many electives. When choosing fine art classes, I encourage students to select what interests them. It’s nice to be a well-rounded student.”

For help on choosing a course, students can see their Guidance Counselor or take a look at the student handbook on the school’s website.