Mrs. Shinsky joins Trinity Area School District

Mrs. Shinsky is very excited to meet the staff and students of Trinity!

Photo courtesy of Hiller Highlights

With full-time in-person learning resuming in the 2021-2022 school year, students may notice some new faces in the Trinity halls. One of these new additions to the Hiller family is Mrs. Samantha Shinsky as she takes on the role of the new Director of Technology and Innovation. 

Shinsky’s list of degrees and certifications is extensive. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Criminology, a Masters Degree in Education, a Post-Masters Certification in Industrial Technology and a Post-Masters Certification in Project Management. She is an alumna of Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Duquesne University, Robert Morris University and Penn State University. Currently, Shinsky is continuing her education at California University of Pennsylvania where she plans to earn her doctorate of education.

Shinsky says that she always saw a career in schools in her future, but not necessarily in the field of technology. From the time that she was young, Shinsky considered becoming a teacher. Once she got older, however, she realized that her options were endless in terms of careers.

During my senior year of high school I had this epiphany – there are so many careers out there and I have no idea what they are! That is how I found myself with a bachelor’s degree in Criminology,” says Shinsky. 

After entering the workforce, however, Shinsky felt that she was not making a difference with the degree that she held. This drive to do more led her to her Masters in Education and back into the world of teaching.

Shinsky says that the most interesting part about the field of technology is that it is always changing. She enjoys the frequent opportunities to learn about innovation and the world while applying new technology for practical purposes.

She also stresses that technology and computational skills are actually life skills. By teaching students critical thinking and problem solving skills, Shinsky believes that students will be better equipped for the future they are heading toward.

Shinsky’s philosophy on technology in the classroom is simple: technology is crucial to enhancing teaching and learning. However, technology should not just be used for the sake of it, but as a tool for analyzing, creating, communicating and collaborating. In her time as the Director of Technology and Innovation, Shinsky hopes to implement technology in the classroom in a way that benefits students and teachers alike.

While Shinsky doesn’t have any specific role models, she does find inspiration through her colleagues and students daily. 

“I am looking forward to meeting everyone and learning about all of the opportunities that exist for the students of Trinity Area School District,” says Shinsky. “I can already tell that the teachers, staff and administrators take great pride in providing students with opportunities.”

When not in school, Shinsky enjoys attending Pittsburgh sporting events with her family. She also finds joy in reading and seeking out new adventures.

Shinsky encourages students who are considering a career in technology to pursue it wholeheartedly, even when the journey becomes difficult.

“Working in the field of technology can be challenging yet rewarding. Technology is everywhere and the job outlook for young people is promising,” says Shinsky.

The staff of The Hiller extends a warm welcome to Mrs. Shinsky and encourages the entire student body to do the same!