Students cut to cosmetology

Collage courtesy of Emma Liggett

These three seniors might be your next hair stylist. It’s a great day to be a Hiller!

The end of the school year is almost here and most seniors have chosen what they want to pursue after graduation. For some students, that could mean going to college, a trade school, or culinary school, or pursuing a cosmetology license. Trinity High School provides many opportunities for all students to help them be prepared and successful for their future after high school. 

Seniors Shaylee Shrader, Colby Meier and Ella Young have all chosen to pursue and complete their licenses in cosmetology at the Toni & Guy Academy. The Toni & Guy Academy offers four extensive curriculums for students to see what they are passionate about and what they would like to pursue a career in. 

“We do everything you need to know to be a cosmetologist at Toni and Guy. From acrylic nails to pin curl sets in hair. We do it all and it helps you find out what your special niche is. It also helps you get a broad spectrum of what you can do with your license,” Senior Ella Young says. 

At Toni & Guy, Shrader talked about how they have been cutting hair and learning new things since week one. Students learn how to handle their shears and clippers, cut basic haircuts, create different types of styles, and apply correct color applications. They also learn how to run a business and network. At Toni & Guy, the students practice both theory and practical work. 

Theory work is when they are taking notes and practicing for their state board exam. If the students pass the board exam they can obtain their cosmetology license. Their practical work involves cutting, coloring, perming and styling. Students also attend presentations from multiple salons that allow them to learn a few techniques from some of the most well-known stylists in the area. Throughout the program, they also take many field trips to different salons to see how they are run and look at the business side of things. 

Some students in the academy have also decided what and where they want to work after completing their studies and getting their license. Young has decided to continue studying at the Geno Levi Academy and then work at the Geno Levi Salon. She decided to work at this salon because they offer all of the services that she likes to give. Meier plans on working at Hair Mechanix. She chose to do this because she likes doing men’s hair and it comes naturally to her.  Shrader does not have a set plan for any salon, but she has taken a liking to Sports Hair Clips and Meraki Beauty Salon. 

If you are interested, even in the slightest, I would 100% recommend trying it out. It was so worth it and I can’t imagine myself doing anything else. It takes a while to get the hang of things too, so don’t get discouraged and just keep practicing,” Meier says.  

If students start Toni & Guy their junior year, then they will be able to graduate and get their license at the same time the following year. If students are interested in applying, direct any questions to the guidance counselors so they can help set it up. Congratulations to all the seniors at Toni & Guy!