THS clubs kick off at start of school year

As the 2019-2020 school year kicks off, the clubs at Trinity are welcoming new members in preparation for another year. Clubs will meet every Wednesday on a rotating schedule. The first Wednesday of every month will be an A day, the second will be a B day, the third will be a C day and the last Wednesday will be open.

Activity A Days

• DECA will meet in room 152. DECA is a professional marketing organization that brings together members to participate in competitive events related to marketing, finance, entrepreneurship, business and leadership. The state conference is held in Hershey, PA, every year. To learn more, talk to Mr. Modrak.

• FFA will meet in room 14. FFA aims to gives students an agricultural education. To learn more, talk to Mrs. Durila.

• Family, Career, and Community Leader of America (FCCLA)  will meet in room 136. The club strives to better prepare students for family, life, and careers. Students will have the opportunity to attend a competition at Penn State. To learn more, talk to Mrs. Aliveto.

• Junior Reserves Officer Training Corps (JROTC) will meet in the auxiliary gym. The mission of JROTC is to motivate young people to become better citizens. To learn more, talk to Major Clacks or Sergeant Major Harper.

• The Equality Club will meet in room 171 on activity A and C days. The club’s mission is to improve the school climate and offer a safe space for LGBTQ+ students and allies. The club is truly an anti-bullying initiate and provides a safer, healthier and more positive school environment for  LGBTQ+ youth. This year, the club wanted to expand to become the “Equality Club” so it encompasses all genders, races, and cultures. To learn more, talk to Mrs. Sagerer.

• National Honor Society will meet in the auditorium. The goal of the National Honor Society is to hold students to the four pillars (leadership, scholarship, character & service).  To be inducted a student must have a 3.75 weighted GPA & have completed four Honors/AP credits. To learn more, talk to Mrs. Rush.

• Youth Traffic Safety will meet in room 124. The club is a part of the SADD club and aims to promote better driving habits while on the road. To learn more talk to Mr. Stoner, Mrs. Helmkamp or Mrs. Mountain.

Activity B Days

• Bible club will meet in room 146. The club helps to promote a positive outlook of the world through the eyes of God and his book “The Bible.” To learn more, talk to Mr. Stoner.

• The German Club will meet in room 289. Trinity German Club promotes the German language and culture. The clubs runs The Rolling Bulletin and plans on hosting Christmas fundraisers. The club also intends on competing in Washington and Jefferson’s German Day competition. To learn more, talk to Herr McLaughlin or Herr Good.

• The Spanish Club will meet in room 182. Students who wish to learn more about the Spanish culture should consider joining. To learn more, talk to Senora Harrington or Senor Sanvicente.

• Dreamers club will meet in room 282. The club focuses on community service and helping others. To learn more, talk to Mr. Polansky.

• Theater club will meet in room 146. Anyone who is in the musical or would like to volunteer to help with the musical should consider joining. To learn more, talk to Mr. Komula.

• Trinity Leadership Club (TLC) will meet in room 198. Students will participate in community service projects to later compete in the spring competition for the Jefferson Awards. The club has won two gold banners in two years. To learn more, talk to Mrs. Berty or Mr. Modrak.

• Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science (PJAS) will meet in room 118. Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science allows students to do independent experimental research, analyze their data, and present their findings. Students will present at the regional meeting at Cal U. in February. If they earn a first place award at the regional level students move on and compete at the state meeting at Penn State in May. It provides students a fun setting to practice their research and speaking skills, along with a chance for scholarships and cash prizes. To learn more, talk to Mr. Smith, Mrs. Walk or Mrs. Welsh.

• Art club will meet in room 187. The Art Club is made up of students who enjoy creating with a variety of art mediums. Members participate in special projects, field trips and have the opportunity to join the National Art Honor Society. Students do not have to be registered in an art course to join. To learn more, talk to Mrs. Bennett.

• T.E.A.M. Trailblazers will meet in the gym. The goal of the Trinity Trailblazers TEAM club is to gain inclusion and respect for all students involved in physical activities.  It enables all students to form a bond with someone different from themselves. It also helps students to grow into leaders who will consider that everyone has a place in this world and that all people can make a difference in society. To learn more, talk to Ms. Belleville, Ms. Giorgi, Coach Kime or Coach Mac.

Activity C Days

• Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) will meet in the auditorium. This club focuses on ways that students can make good decisions on a daily basis and how to deal with situations that present unsafe possibilities. The club is involved with Red Ribbon week in October (sponsored by MADD), Crush cans on Valentine’s Day, Seat belt and cell phone checks at dismissal time for PennDOT data, road clean up, bringing in speakers at Prom time for the student body and giving back to the community by providing equipment for local police departments, including our own Trinity police force. Students (of driving age) can also attend Youth Traffic Safety meetings and outings with PennDOT and State Police officials, including driving competitions. To learn more, talk to Mr. Stoner, Mrs. Helmkamp, or Mrs. Mountain.

• Mock Trial will meet in room 274. Tryouts will be held in October. The club is geared towards students with a passion for justice and theater and the team is looking for more members! To learn more or join talk to Mrs. Kinney.

• Environmental club will meet in room 217. Environmental club works on the school recycling project and collects markers and batteries to be recycled what post people don’t know is that it costs money to recycle these items, so the club raises money throughout the year. The club also does community service events to better the environment. To learn more or join, talk to Mrs. Cotton.

• STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics) Team will meet in room 118. This is a club that was developed to help students get real life experiences with science and technology. This club is open to all grades. Students enter different STEAM competitions, including one hosted by Trinity. Students will learn how to work together as a team to solve real life problems. If students would like to participate they should join Remind101 by texting @d86732 to 81010. 

• Computer science club will meeting room 260. Students will choose projects to code. To learn more, talk to Mrs. Sirianni.

• Future Teachers of America will meet in room 262. To learn more, talk to Mrs. Bennett.

• Future Health Professionals (HOSA) will meet in room 283. To learn more, talk to Mr. Porterfield. 
  • Odyssey of the Mind will meet in room 198. Students will work in teams to create, then build, projects according to the Odyssey problems for the 2019-2020 season. The regional competition will be held in March. To learn more, talk to Mrs. Berty.

• Literary Journal will meet in room 164. Participants create a magazine of students’ writing, such as short stories, essays, art work, and poems.To learn more, talk to Mrs. O’Lare or Mrs. Berty.

Other

• Students Helping Others (SHO) will work with the Teen Outreach Program to help organize Washington’s Got Talent to help keep the Teen Outreach Program funded and to fund several different programs that are important for young adults. Students work hand and hand with Amy Gough and Mary Jo Podgurski along with several other students and teachers from across Washington county. If students would like to participate they should join Remind101 by texting @shoths to 81010. For more information, talk to Mrs. Welsh.

• Math league will meet on Mondays after school. It is an academic club for students who love math and enjoy competitive problem solving. There will be both home and away meets for competitions. To learn more, talk to Mrs. Sirianni.

• Speech and Debate team will have competitions in categories such as debate, oratory, current events, acting, and much more. The team is the oldest academic competition team at Trinity. The state competition will be held in March. To learn more, talk to Mrs. Berty.