Seniors give advice for applying to tough colleges

Alison Spadaro will be attending the University of Texas that’s located in Dallas. While there she plans to study physics and mathematics.

Many students at Trinity dream of going to the highly ranked college of their dreams and sometimes spend all of high school preparing for the moment they finally get to submit their application. Some of Trinity’s students would like to offer advice to those who are ready to apply themselves to their future after high school.

Senior Alison Spadaro has always been one of Trinity’s sharpest minds and she is very excited to be attending the University of Texas at Dallas next school year.

The University of Texas at Dallas is a public research institution with over 140 academic degrees available to students. The University is associated with four Nobel Prizes, and it is a frontrunner in university research in Space Science, Bioengineering, Cybersecurity, Nanotechnology, and Behavioral and Brain Sciences. 

Spadaro has decided to focus her studies on physics and mathematics because the fields have interested her since elementary school. She hopes that someday she can work as a research scientist for an institution such as NASA.
Spadaro said to “not just look at the academic program; you have to consider that it’s going to be very expensive. Higher up schools are less likely to give scholarships. My advice is to apply to a bunch of schools, and have both an academic and a financial backup. It doesn’t matter if you get into your dream school if you can’t pay for it.”

Senior Carson White is also one of Trinity’s strongest students, but he has decided to stay more local for his college education. White has decided to attend the University of Pittsburgh next school year.

Upon graduation, Carson White looks to study computer science at the University of Pittsburg.

The University of Pittsburgh (Pitt) is well-known around the area as a state-related research university with over 90 academic degrees. The university spends nearly $940 million each year in research and development, the 16th highest in the nation. Pitt has also been named as the best public university in the Northeast and the best public value in the state according to the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education College Rankings. 

White has decided to focus on computer science because he is interested in problem solving and simulations through coding. He hopes to one day work in the field of computational neuroscience.

White also suggests applying “to as many schools as you can,” in order to have a good selection of schools to choose from.

Trinity High School has certainly prepared its students to take off and move toward their dreams. Congratulations to all seniors in the Class of 2020. We wish you all the best of luck!