Indoor track team starts off their running season

Sprinters in starting position at a track meet in 
Edenborrow.

Sprinters in starting position at a track meet in Edenborrow.

Mrs. Burchett

Mrs. Burchett

Mrs. Burchett

The indoor track team is working and striving to do better than the year before. While participating in indoor track, students learn many skills to help them improve in running, throwing, and jumping events.

During the first week of practice, the indoor track team practiced together as a group, where they build on strength and breathing exercises. The team then splits to focus on what is important for their own activity. First-year runner, Bailee Daugherty said, “My favorite part of track is when you first experience all the aspects of running.”

Indoor track has several events that students can participate in, most of which are similar to those in outdoor track. Sprinters’ activities include the 60 meter, 200 meter, and relays. Whereas the distance runners participate in the half-mile, mile, two-mile, and 400 relays.

For students who do not compete in running: throwing and jumping are the other events. For throwing, students may participate in discus and javelin. In the jumping events, students participate in the high jump, low jump, or short jump.

Since Trinity doesn’t have an indoor track, most of their meets are at colleges, such as Slippery Rock, Kent, Edinboro, and Youngstown Universities. When competing at Slippery Rock University, the indoor track team competes against twenty different schools.

Ms. Burchett is the indoor track team coach. Burchett was a four-year varsity letter winner for Trinity. She moved on to attend West Liberty University with a basketball and track scholarship, where she became a three-time WPIAL and state medalist for shot put, javelin, and discus. 

Burchett said, “I believe that with my careers in both high school and college track, I have a lot of knowledge and life experience to share with the athletes.”

The track team encourages others to join. “If you love running and want to get into shape, then track is a good sport for you to try,” said senior Dale Glotfelty.

Track members are excited for another terrific season. Their past track meet was held Saturday, January 18, 2020, at Edinboro University.