Trinity welcomes foreign exchange students

Melanny Bastidas, Maria Edwarda Rodrigues-Ferreira, Livia Pratera, and Nicole Schabarum pose with flags from Ecuador and Brazil.

The chance to experience new cultures is one that most people dream of having. For students in the foreign exchange program, they are able to experience what it’s like to go to school in a different country. There are four exchange students currently at Trinity.

Melanny Bastidas is a senior from Ecuador. She is currently staying with the Kosckec family and is involved with the girls soccer team at Trinity.    

The most substantial change she has experienced would be the high school, which is bigger than what she is used to. Trinity offers a variety of interesting classes that aren’t offered in Ecuador. A difference she has noticed while staying here is that the people are friendly and start conversations easily.

“Trinity is different from my school back home. Here there are lockers and different classes. In Ecuador, the students stay in the classroom and the teachers are the ones that leave,” Bastidas stated.

Her decision to participate in the foreign exchange program was inspired by the want to learn more about culture, language and see how other places were different from where she lives. Bastidas thinks that the foreign exchange program is a good idea because it allows people to meet and make friends while learning about different cultures. She returns to Ecuador in a year or at the beginning of the next school year.

Sophomore Nicole Schabarum also chose to participate in the foreign exchange program. Schabarum is from Brazil and is currently staying with the Joseph family. In her spare time she enjoys doing activities like dance, basketball and swimming. She finds that the biggest change she has experienced has been the food.

“The food here is worse than back home. I am a vegetarian and here people eat a lot of meat and junk food. In Brazil we eat a lot of vegetables,” Schabarum said.

A difference that she has noticed is the clothing, sharing that in Brazil they wear uniforms to school. Another thing that she finds strange is that friends don’t really hug. Compared to her school in Brazil, Schabarum finds that the high school is very big; also in Brazil, the teachers are the ones that change classes while the students remain in the classroom.

There are extra classes like arts, computers and wood shop offered here that aren’t offered in Brazil. Schabarum chose to participate in the foreign exchange program because she wanted a change in life and really likes to travel. She will be returning to Brazil sometime in June.

Livia Prantera is a junior who also is from Brazil. She is currently staying with the High family and is a member of the girl’s soccer team. The biggest change she has had to adapt to is the school. She feels that the school in Brazil and Trinity are both the same size, but Trinity’s classrooms are difficult to locate. There are no lockers and they alternate classes, for example taking chemistry one Monday, Wednesday and Friday. They would then take chemistry two Tuesday and Thursday.

A change she has noticed in the culture is the food, saying that in Brazil they eat a lot of beans and rice. The pizza is different too, meaning it has different toppings.

Prantera finds Trinity is different from her school back home because they don’t have smart boards but only whiteboards; there isn’t a program such as Google Classroom; there are no computers; and they have a calendar of tests for the whole year. Making friends has also been harder here than in Brazil. They do have finals and take a big test on everything that they learned in high school. If this test is not passed, they are unable to move onto college.

“I chose to participate in the foreign exchange program because my brother did it. I find English to be a beautiful language and I love to travel. It’s a great experience and it looks good on a resume,” Prantera stated.

Prantera loves the family she is staying with and being a part of the soccer team. She returns to Brazil in January.

Junior Maria Edwarda Rodrigues-Ferreira is from Brazil and is currently staying with the Glotfelty family. She is involved with the Trinity girls soccer team. Some of the biggest changes she has noticed have been with the food, saying that the food here is more like a snack. She also finds it to taste a little bit like plastic and stated that the lunches in Brazil are more like home cooking. Ferreira finds the people here to be more reserved and serious. People in Brazil are more open about personal matters and being in the same class with all the same students makes that easier. Ferreira finds everything to be new and the culture overall to be different. Compared to her school back in Brazil, Ferreira finds Trinity to be bigger, the classes to be longer and that students have to change classrooms. There aren’t smart boards in the classrooms and the teacher is the one that leaves the room not the student. Another change she has had to adapt to has been only having one class for every subject. In Brazil there are two different classes taken on similar subjects and these classes alternate days. She returns to Brazil in June.

“I chose to participate in the foreign exchange program because it’s a different kind of experience. It exposes you to things that can’t be felt by watching a movie. I think that by experiencing this it will allow me to grow as a person,” Ferreira replied.

The opportunity to travel to a foreign place is one that so few choose to take advantage of. The foreign exchange program provides students with the chance to explore new cultures and learn new things. It is an experience that these four individuals will carry with them forever.

• Trinity welcomes foreign exchange students

Feature Articles

Classic Easter traditions

Feature

“Hillers take the high ground”

Feature Articles

Odyssey of the Mind advances to state tournament

Feature Articles

Three schools, two countries, one person: Devanshi Joshi

Feature Articles

Marino receives Wrestling Assistant Coach of the Year award

Feature Articles

Kayla Denke shoots her way into archery

Feature Articles

He said, she said

Feature Articles

Trinity’s STEAM team prepares for takeoff at their first competition

Feature Articles

Julia Chakos receives KDKA Extra Effort Award

Feature Articles

Payton Janovich hikes her way through Trinity