What college is really like

Krista Lebar, member of The Hiller Newspaper staff for three years and 2019 graduate of Trinity High School, writes on her experiences in her first semester at Seton Hill University.

Krista Lebar

Going into the second semester of freshman year at Seton Hill University, I have learned a lot. I learned that walking on campus at one o’clock in the morning is not fun, especially if paranoia comes easily. Also, procrastination in college is never good, I learned that lesson the hard way. Nonetheless, college is a memorable experience that everyone should enjoy.

College is not scary at all. The thought of all the work, tests and making new friends can be overwhelming, but it gets easier. Seton Hill has a weekend dedicated to the incoming freshman called “Welcome Weekend,” and it gives freshman the opportunity to meet their classmates. It gets people out of their comfort zones, and I have found that beneficial. “Welcome Weekend” had several activities planned such as a foam dance, paintball, letter art and movie on the lawn. I made so many new friends through this weekend, and I am grateful for that. It made the transition from high school to college easier and more enjoyable. 

High school teachers sometimes can portray college as something that is very difficult and sometimes say that professors will not be as lenient as high school teachers. That statement alone causes students fear. From personal experience, this is false because the professors are lenient and understand that we have many tasks at hand. They give us time to complete our assignments and know that we are stressed with all the homework and tests assigned.

I am an Elementary Education with a Special Education major, and I can say that my schedule is very flexible. When I went to orientation in July, I was expecting to have all morning classes, but it was actually the opposite. I have classes Monday through Thursday starting at 12:45 p.m and ending around 3:30 p.m. For the education program, I was told that Fridays are a day off to do homework and study.

Yes, night classes are a thing, and they can be a blessing and a curse. So far, I have had three night classes once a week lasting from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. To prepare for a night class, I recommend taking a nap during the day and eating a healthy dinner to stay awake because there have been a few times where I was on the verge of falling asleep in class.

Sporting events are really important in college. Go and support the teams and attend their games as much as possible because it is fun! It is a chance to make more friends and support your fellow classmates. I enjoyed going to the soccer games, and plan on attending baseball and lacrosse games in the spring. Sporting events are so much fun to go to because friends and classmates are there. I recommend going to the games because college will be over in the blink of an eye!

A piece of advice is to not wait until the last minute to do homework and study for tests. Writing a four page essay by 11:59 p.m. on a Friday night is not ideal, but that is what happens when a student procrastinates. I have found out that doing homework and studying in a quiet environment is easier. 

Another piece of advice is to take care of your mental health. Taking breaks in between homework and studying are worth it because there is the opportunity to recharge and continue studying. Self care is very important and goes a long way. It is best to dedicate one day to self care and not worry about any schoolwork. 

It feels strange that I am already in my second semester of college. It goes by very fast and it will be over in no time. College is a once in a lifetime experience, so make those moments count!