Hockey skates into season

Hockey skates into season

Captian Ty Kress warming up before a match.

Olympus

Olympus

Olympus

The Trinity Hockey team is a hard working, yet sometimes unrecognized, group of players. Despite their record, they have diligently worked to win each game. 

Trinity team captain, Senior Ty Kress, and the Alternate Captains Garrett Gellner (from John Marshall High School ) and Sophomore Dax Kress, have led the team throughout this season. 

Ty Kress has been playing hockey for 12 years and for three years on Trinity’s team; this is his second year as team captain. After graduation, Kress will be attending California University of Pennsylvania and hopes to play Division III hockey while in college.

In addition to Ty Kress, other Trinity seniors on the team are Jeremy Hurd, Anthony Santi, Jacob Snyder, and Jonathan Chopp

Jacob Snyder, a five- year player, stated,  “I’m looking forward to spending my last season with a great group of guys!” 

The Trinity Hockey team is coached by Rew Piatt. Piatt started playing when he was a sophomore and has been a part of the coaching system since graduating from Trinity in 2011. This is his second year as head coach for the hockey team.

Piatt stated, “We have an extremely talented group of guys this season. We’ve really underachieved early in the year but I feel we have what it takes to right the ship. I was very optimistic coming into the season for what we could do on the ice. However, one of my favorite things about coaching is the opportunity to share with the next generation of hockey players how great this game can be even when things aren’t going well. I’ve got fellow Hiller Hockey alum, Austin Webber, on the bench with me. I have so many friendships that came from my time playing hockey at Trinity. Even though our teams weren’t great, we built great relationships, and that’s what I enjoy… is to give that to another group of young men and women.”

The team prepares for games at least two times a week at both the Southpointe Printscape Arena and at Wheeling Park. During practice, the players work on footwork, puck-handling skills, shooting and scrimmaging.  Scrimmaging is one of the most effective strategies the players have for improving their game. Unlike a game, during a scrimmage, the coaches are able to stop the play and discuss a move or position that may need some tweaking. 

Ringgold High School has been a long-time rival of The Hillers.  The teams first met on November 26 with the Hillers losing 6-2. But, they have a chance again, tonight, to defend themselves against the Rams.  They play at Ringgold at 7:35 p.m.

As of December 17, the team has a 4-7 record. Their home rink is the Southpoint Printscape Arena and their next home game is Tuesday, January 7, 2020, at 7:00 p.m.

It’s an honor to be head coaching this team. I look forward to building relationships and working with these young people every season. It really has a huge positive in my life,” said Coach Piatt.

Even though the team is made up of players from several different schools in the area, they all wear the Trinity uniform with pride.  Outside of the arena the team spends time together, whether it’s their recent participation in the Washington Christmas Parade on December 6 or their upcoming team holiday party.  Their camaraderie and team bond make playing together like a well-oiled machine.