Trinity students demonstrate patriotic duty

A voting sign outside of a polling place.

Photo via Google Images under Creative Commons License

Ever since childhood, parents, teachers and people in the community have talked about the undeniable value that each vote has in the United States. In spite of this, in almost every single election, the demographic that is most underrepresented and has the lowest voter turnout are the youngest voters in America, people ages 18 to 29. Trinity High School, however, excels in this field where other schools fail.

Every year, Washington County enlisted the help of students to run the election polls. Once they  turn 17, students are allowed to send in a form to request to work on election day. Local students believe that there will be enough people working the polls, so how much can one person’s help add up to?

The answer is an incalculable amount.

Washington desperately needs these students. Their willingness to volunteer and help relieve the stress that election day can bring is incredibly valuable to the county, and this is where Trinity students excel. Since Washington County opened its doors and allowed students to help during election day, Trinity has been the only school in the area to send at least 10 volunteers to help work the polls, no matter how large or small the election was.

On November 5 of this year, Washington County’s polls were open once again for the general election, and as always, Trinity students helped to work the polls. Students who did volunteer had to choose between two times to work: 6:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. or 1:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M. Most students helped to register “voting cards,” which are cards that people insert into the voting machine to count votes. This job could include searching through the precinct database to register a voter or to write down each voter’s first and last name as well as their political party. While these jobs may not sound very difficult, during times where a mass of people enter the voting building, they can become very stressful as people expect a streamlined process. And even during the smallest of election, there will always be a rush hour for people trying to vote, typically around lunch and after work.

The students who commit themselves to helping the polls should realize that they are doing something much more

than just learning about what it’s like to be a poll worker, they are doing a patriotic service that is keeping America running.

Thank you to all of Trinity’s student volunteers in the past election for committing your time for our republic. All Trinity students are welcome to help in the next election!