Student of the Month: December

Student of the Month: December

It is my pleasure to nominate Brent Clutter as THS Student of the Month for December. 

Brent exhibits many of the characteristics that I try to develop in my students, including intellectual curiosity, a strong work ethic, service to others, and a willingness to mentor younger students. His ability to think independently make him a good role model for his fellow classmates and younger students. 

As a student in my AP Biology class, Brent often helps drive our discussions forward. He is willing to contribute ideas even when he is not certain that he is correct. This academic risk-taking is a refreshing characteristic among high-level students. Brent has a skill for looking at things from a different perspective and making connections between ideas. He has invested heavily in our science programs, taking AP courses in chemistry, physics, and biology as well as extra courses in anatomy and physiology and has been highly successful in all of them. 

In looking back over Brent’s academic history, one of the things that struck me is how his performance has gotten stronger every year in high school. He did well as a freshman, but each year his grades crept upward, even as the courses became more and more difficult. His strong work ethic has been a contributing factor. 

In discussing this nomination with a colleague, he highlighted Brent’s commitment to community service and to mentoring younger students. Brent has been involved with blood drives, food drives, and the West Alexander VFD Scare Fair. Moreover, he has been a mentor to younger students in the German program; as in all his endeavors, his approach is done in a very low-key manner. 

Finally, Brent is able to keep perspective, a trait that will serve him well; he doesn’t let the lows or the highs of life cause him to take his eyes off of his ultimate goals. He has expressed an interest in being a physician’s assistant and I envision his balanced demeanor as being very soothing to future patients. 

For all of these reasons, I take great pleasure in nominating Brent Clutter for Student of the Month. 

Nominated by Mr. Joseph Smith