Girls soccer kicks out of their season

Girls soccer kicks out of their season

Sophomore Courtney Dahlquist passes the ball to a teammate downfield to try to score a goal.

Olympus Yearbook Staff

Olympus Yearbook Staff

Olympus Yearbook Staff

During the 2019 season, the girls soccer team worked not only to improve their team play but also their team bond.  From practices to games, the girls worked hard at everything they did and the results speak for themselves. The girls ended the Fall season by making it to playoffs with a 8-8-1 record.

In the first round of playoffs, Trinity played Laurel Highlands and won against the Mustangs in a 6-0 victory.  Advancing to the second round, the Lady Hillers were set to take on the Mars Planets. Though the girls played their hearts out, the Hillers lost in a 0-7 shutout. 

Despite this loss, the girls soccer team was able to succeed when playing against some big rivals in the regular season, such as Oakland Catholic, Thomas Jefferson and Plum. 

“We played some easy teams, as well, such as West Mifflin and Woodland Hills,” said Freshman Aliana Hodgson. 

The team is always in a good mood at practices and games, working hard to master their technique in the sport.

At practice, they work on foot skills, go through positions on the field, and try to improve on any weak areas they see in games.  Head Coach David Sinclair and Assistant Coach Emily Freiwald push the girls hard at practice, making sure that each and every player leaves it all on the field.

The team is captained by Seniors Hannah Abbondanza and Gabby Mauro.

Abbondanza plays center mid, and her role is to move the ball forward to the other players on the field so they can, hopefully, score a goal. 

Abbondanza has been playing soccer for ten years and still remembers how she got started playing the game: “I started playing because my mom forced me to, but I now love the game.”

Mauro has been playing soccer for 14 years.  During games she protects the defense as a defensive mid and always makes sure to play to the best of her abilities.

All of the members on the girls’ soccer team have worked together and bonded throughout their season, which is evident in their record. This diligence and dedication will continue into next year’s season to ensure the team continues their legacy of success.