Aiming for academic excellence

Aiming for academic excellence

Students who were recognized at the academic assembly for their hard work pose with their awards.

Morgan Kafana

Morgan Kafana

Morgan Kafana

Trinity’s 2019 Academic Excellence Assembly took place on October 17 as a means of celebrating academic pride amongst students along with their recognized teachers. Students from all grades gathered in the auditorium and watched the presentation of awards in the following represented departments: mathematics, English, physical education, history, science, art, music, German, Spanish, JROTC, FFA and FCS. Other students were congratulated for being selected for the National Merit Scholarship Program, becoming a student of the month, or passing AP tests. 

The event was first suggested by NMSI (National Math and Science Initiative) as a means to commemorate the school’s efforts to prepare students for AP tests. Mr. Samosky, an advocate for student success, met with the PTA to plan an Academic Assembly because they agreed the students’ academic achievements were just as important as their athletic and artistic achievements. 

Trinity already takes pride in student work through its pep assemblies and art shows, but there is no established event, not only in Trinity, but in many schools, that focuses on the educational goals of students. Mrs. Rush, organizer of the Academic Assembly, mentioned Mr. Smith as an example of someone who passed a substantial amount of AP tests in high school but received no recognition. 

The Academic Assembly shows Trinity’s dedication, in Samosky’s vision, “to create an academic social climate in which younger students are inspired to enroll in rigorous courses during their high school experience.” 

Rush agrees in that it is important for all students to attend the assembly so that they know what they can strive for. 

Students were recognized for excellence in AP and non-AP subjects. Samsosky believes that the faculty did an excellent job in acknowledging a diverse population of students who performed exceptionally well in the many courses offered by the school. Alison Spadaro, a recognized senior at the assembly, stated her proudest academic achievement was moving on to become a semi-finalist for the National Merit Scholarship Program. 

The academic opportunities are evident with Trinity’s 26 AP classes offered with at least one in most departments, including the arts and music. In 2017, Trinity was ranked the number one high school in the nation for AP score improvement and had a 34.7% increase in qualifying AP scores from 2016 to 2019. Rush says the feedback she has received from alumni students who have continued to succeed in college prove that Trinity’s education system is headed in the right direction.

The Academic Assembly is a sign of Trinity working to improve its educational system, while at the same time, taking a step back to appreciate the progress. The future of academic success at Trinity will depend on the hard work of students alongside a supporting faculty.