NHS: New Members Welcomed into Trinity Tradition

Newly inducted students to NHS take their first step to begin their new journey.

Mr. Marietta

Mr. Marietta

Mr. Marietta

Trinity’s National Honor Society (NHS) hosted their 59th annual induction ceremony, on September 9, 2019. NHS is an important organization that Trinity has been a part of for sixty years. The organization now includes 109 students, following the induction ceremony.

According to Mrs. Rush, an NHS leader, the society is a leadership and scholarship program that focuses on character and service of students. She enjoys having a role in the National Honor Society and has been active in the organization since 2007. 

Rush said, “the purpose of NHS is to set higher standards throughout a student’s academic career than an average student, and the organization can be included in applications and resumes.”

She stresses that the significance of the induction ceremony is to recognize students and their achievements. The superintendent and principals attend and welcome the inductees during the ceremony. Requirements for inductees include a weighted GPA of 3.75 or higher and at least four honors or AP credits. Students must also be either a junior or senior to be a candidate.

After being inducted, teachers will check on students’ behavior, grades and service activities throughout the year. 

Students in NHS are expected to be active in both THS and Washington County communities. The society helps with Open House, Make A  Difference Day, Move Up Night, and graduation. 

President Elizabeth Herrnberger enjoys helping with blood drives, holiday collections, fundraisers, and collecting canned goods. Herrnberger has been a part of the Honor Society for two years and finds it rewarding to know that she is doing her best in NHS. She feels NHS has opened her horizons to academic achievements and believes that it can benefit all students by pushing them to work harder and better themselves. She hopes that in the next few years NHS will get more involved with the school and student council, and is excited for more students to join. 

New inductee Emma Malinak believes that the Honor Society will benefit her by giving her more opportunities to do community service, and is excited to be surrounded by others who care about the welfare of the school. She hopes that NHS will highlight an emphasis on academics.

Malinak stated, “I look forward to helping with blood drives and tutoring.” 

The National Honor Society will start off the new school year with a set of strong and inspiring students to help better the community. NHS will continue to help students break boundaries and guide future leaders to greatness, all while showcasing the talent and strength of Trinity High School.