Seniors’ graduation approaches

The+graduation+stage+awaits+the+senior+class+on+June+7.+

Seniors’ graduation approaches

The graduation stage awaits the senior class on June 7.

Maria Cimino

Maria Cimino

Maria Cimino

As June 7 approaches quickly, 252 seniors are preparing to bid farewell to high school. Many are feeling a mix of emotions.

Julia Faust said “Graduation is like the end of an era to me.”

Gio Bartolotto said he feels “closure and readiness,” and that he feels graduation will bring “freedom to become the people we were always meant to be.”

Riley Moore said that “high school is a complete facade for the social hierarchy. I’ve never had a worse experience in my life.”

Additionally, graduation also brings yearly traditions, such as the senior gifts or graduation cap decorating.

Faust notes the tradition of the graduating class giving back to the school after graduation. For example, the class of 2017 paid for the water bottle fountains throughout the school.

According to Mr. Lauver, the outdoor setting combined with the traditional bell-ringing at 6:15 p.m. makes graduation feel much more like a college graduation.

Graduation will occur at 6:15 p.m. and will be held outside, weather-permitting. In case of inclement weather, graduation will be held in the gym. Additionally, there will be a live stream in the auditorium if necessary. Parking will be first come, first served, but there will be a shuttle running from the middle school for extra parking. Tickets will be distributed at graduation practices, and every student will be given a set number of tickets. Students who may need extra tickets can request them.

Some students will be graduating with the distinctions of Valedictorian, Salutatorian, Honor Graduate, and Graduating with Honors. Currently, there are eight students in the running for Valedictorian. This number is higher than in several years past, as the class of 2018 graduated with 5 Valedictorians. However, Valedictorians will not be officially decided until grades are finalized on May 31. Additionally, the senior class accomplishments will be recognized at Awards Night on May 29 at 6:00 p.m.

As Lauver said “We continue to be impressed with the class of 2019, and our staff is working hard to make graduation memorable.”