Students going to cosmetology school

Students going to cosmetology school

This is one of the many colorful hairstyles Kimenski has done.

Austin Kimenski

Austin Kimenski

Austin Kimenski

Cosmetology has gained popularity through the years. James Charles, Jeffree Starr and Manny MUA are a few famous YouTube makeup artists. YouTube has its fair share of popular hairstylists such as Kayley Melissa, Cute Girl Hairstyles, Luxy Hair and Lillith Moon. All these YouTubers provide tutorials that range from trendy to cute to classic hairstyles. Riley Young and Austin Kimenski are two students that are taking their passion for cosmetology to the next level.

Seniors Young and Kimenski are both going to school for cosmetology. Kimenski is planning to attend Bella Capelli in the summer of 2019 and focus on hair. Young is attending Pitt Technical in the fall and major in Business, with cosmetology on the side. Both got interested in cosmetology when Trinity High School offered a program called Toni & Guy Hairdressing Academy.

Toni & Guy provides students with the opportunity to express their creative sides by learning how to create makeup looks and hairstyles. Some days, students have to cut clients hair, and other days are more laid back. The laid back days give the students a chance to catch up on schoolwork and practice different makeup and hairstyles on each other.

Young stated, “Definitely social media had a big influence on my decision. People like Jeffree Starr and James Charles got me interested in makeup. Guy Tang was a big part of my interest in hair.”

A cosmetology major is not usually popular among high school students. Not many of them think of it as a career, but more of a hobby. Young and Kimenski are very passionate about hair and makeup, and it shows through their works.

Kimenski said, “I am going to school to get my cosmetology instructor’s license. I am more involved with hair than makeup, but there is a chance I will enroll in Bella Capelli’s makeup courses after I receive my instructor’s license.”

Cosmetology is all about channeling creativity. It allows people to be original with their ideas, and the result is amazing.

Young said, “I love being able to be creative and make people feel like a new/better person with their hair color.”

Young and Kimenski have the potential to become future YouTubers with the serious talent they have.