Senior Hiller Staff Member: Drew VonScio

Drew Vonscio: Copy Editor and Sports Editor

What is your favorite memory from being part of the Hiller staff?

My favorite memory is the numerous hours of “writing articles” while everyone sat around and talked about school or roasted each other.

What are you going to miss most about being a part of the newspaper?

The easier question to answer would be what am I not going to miss. I would have to say that I will miss the people the most. The friendships and memories I have with the current staff as well as members of previous staffs is amazing, and I will never forget those.

How many red pens did Mrs. O’Lare use to correct your articles?

0, because my writing was perfect. Just kidding, I would have to guess around 3 red pens.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I want to be a baseball play-by-play announcer, preferably for the Pirates right here in Pittsburgh.

Where are you going to college and what are you majoring in?

I am going to Bethany College and majoring in communications with a focus in sports broadcasting.

What is the best article you’ve ever written?

The best article I have written would have to be the Trinity baseball article I wrote this year.

What advice do you have for future staff members?

My advice to future staff members would be to always come to class prepared and be creative with your writing. Above all, enjoy your time on staff because the days start counting down sooner than you think.

Why did you choose to take journalism?

I took journalism because I was a part of the TMS Times (middle school newspaper) for 3 years, so I wanted to continue writing. My passion for sports is very evident, so I wanted to write sports stories. If I do not get into broadcasting, I would enjoy writing articles about the Pirates just as much as announcing.

Is there anything you’d like to add?

My time on the newspaper staff was very special, something I will never forget. I loved every minute of being a staff writer and sports editor, and I hope I lived up to the legacy of predecessor, Megan Kendra, as a sports editor. Finally, I would like to thank Mrs. O’Lare for a great 3 years of being on staff and being a great advisor. I am definitely excited to come back and visit her next year. That is, if she remembers who I am. Dementia only gets worse when you get older. 🙂