Students going in different directions

Students going in different directions

Seniors Macy Reynolds, Bella Armstrong, Kirsten Joseph and Chrissy Easterday's faces were photoshopped onto a plane since they are attending college out of state.

Kenna Hoffman

Kenna Hoffman

Kenna Hoffman

Now that graduation season is here and senioritis has kicked in, seniors are focused on one thing and one thing only: college. Some students tend to stay local and go to college an hour away, but others want to branch out to different states. Nine times out of ten, children tell their parents that they want to be as far away as possible. College is about gaining independence, whether it is a car drive or flight away.

Seniors Macy Reynolds, Bella Armstrong, Kirsten Joseph and Chrissy Easterday are studying hours away from home. Reynolds is travelling to Music City, also known as Tennessee, to attend Belmont University and major in Elementary Education. Armstrong is going to the Bluegrass State to major in Chemical Engineering at the University of Kentucky. Joseph and Easterday are studying in the Sunshine State, known as Florida. Joseph is going to Eckerd College and majoring in Marine Biology. Easterday is going to the University of Central Florida. Her current major is General Sciences, but more than likely she will study Environmental Science.

Armstrong said, “Apart from their beautiful campus, they have state-of-the-art facilities. From the new student center to the technology-advanced engineering area, it is the right fit for me. The support system from a big school and the opportunities attracted me to the school.”

Choosing a college is a long and time-consuming process. Choosing between staying local and branching out is the first question. Some students want a change of scenery for the next chapter of their lives. For others, they feel comfortable where they grew up.

Reynolds stated, “I did not want to attend a college in Pennsylvania because I want to experience a different culture than what I have been used to my entire life. I chose a university in a different state because I want to have a fresh start, and start a new chapter in my life.”

In college, some students have a change of heart, and switch majors. They get the feeling of not wanting to continue what they initially planned to study. It can be stress, or it can be that they are not as passionate about it as they used to be. College is about exploring and trying new things, even if it is switching majors.

Joseph said, “I am majoring in Marine Biology, but I am also considering Chemical Oceanography.”

College is not just about another four years of education, it is about gaining independence. Going to college in different states can have its advantages and disadvantages. Some advantages are starting a new chapter in an unfamiliar area, getting out of comfort zones, making their own decisions and meeting new people. Some disadvantages are not going home on most weekends, possibly feeling isolated and lonely since it is a new environment and not having family and friends to rely on. Being alone in a new environment is not the case for Easterday.

Easterday expressed, “My family is moving to Florida anyways, so I feel like this is a good time for a new beginning in life.”

Attending college in a different state is beneficial for Reynolds, Armstrong, Easterday and Joseph. They can visualize all the opportunities that will be out there for them. Good luck to all the seniors and what the future holds for them!!