Sydney Shook serenades her way through senioritis

Sydney+Shook+swims+her+way+out+of+the+sea+and+into+a+whole+new+world.+

Sydney Shook swims her way out of the sea and into a whole new world.

Under the sea, there may be a hot crustacean band, but above water, Trinity High School’s Ariel, Sydney Shook, looks toward brighter skies as the curtains close on her high school career. Sydney Shook is a member of the Tri – M, the Musical National Honor Society, the National Honor Society and she has been a lead role in three musicals including this year’s musical “The Little Mermaid.”

“The Little Mermaid” was a series of performances that took place during a four day span on April 11 – 14. The musical was a success, but this was not her first successful debut on the stage as she has participated in the annual musical since eighth grade. Most notably, Shook has assumed the role of Jenny in “Barnum” and Glenda in “The Wizard of Oz.”

She recalls many of her fondest memories on the stage and thus, she wishes to share this with her peers. Shook has not always had the lead role but even when she did not, she always maintained a positive attitude as she recalls that “there is no reason to become upset if you do not get the best role because everything happens for a reason.”

For prospective students interested in assuming a role in next year’s musical, one should adhere to the values of resilience and dedication. Shook has shown significant resilience throughout extensive tech-week rehearsals that ended around 11 p.m. The musical is a fixture of value in her life, however, she has shown that she is not only dedicated to her co-curriculars but also her academics by attending school after long and sleepless nights.

Shook commented that her experience with Trinity High School’s music department has been “an amazing experience but it is bittersweet when it is over. As an artist, I have grown both in musical and performance ability.”

Shook is an excellent student who has unparalleled talents. She has been recognized on several occasions for her mellifluous chords and advanced academic achievement. Two years ago, Sydney was recognized as a WSO Young Artist and has since actively participated in concerts and competitions for the musical department. The awards have yet to be announced for the choir department but are projected to be announced toward the end of the year.

The exhaustion of week long rehearsals and then four day performance debuts has left Shook afflicted to the plight of Senioritis. Her senior year switched to Accelerando – rapid progression – following the completion of her musical debut. Senioritis affects the majority of the senior population but it has finally taken its toll on Shook as she prepares to take on the greener seaweed in somebody else’s lake.

She’s not floating in a blue lagoon, instead, she’s taking on Baldwin Wallace where she intends to study vocal performance. Her devotion to vocal performance will not end when her last high school coda concludes as she aspires to serenade her way into a musical role at the collegiate level.

Musical producers and coordinators, Mrs. Child and Mr. Komula, offer Sydney advice for moving into the collegiate level: “Your voice is healthy and you should be able to keep that beautiful instrument healthy for many years to come. Take care of your gift. I will miss listening to it” and “Most importantly, stay healthy. Listen to your teacher and if it does not feel like a fit or you are not growing as an artist, move on. Be open to change,” respectively.

The Hiller community wishes Sydney Shook well as she prepares to make a big splash in a new lake this fall!

• Feature

Seniors engage in Civic Service

• Sydney Shook serenades her way through senioritis

Feature

Seniors choose alternate path

Feature

Senior Hiller Staff Member: Breea Gray

Feature

Senior Hiller Staff Member: Kenna Hoffman

Feature

Senior Hiller Staff Member: Riley Moore

Feature

Senior Hiller Staff Member: Krista Lebar

Feature

Senior Hiller Staff Member: Maddie Spencer

Feature

Senior Hiller Staff Member: Drew VonScio

Feature

Senior Hiller Staff Member: Makenzie Marino

Feature

Senior Hiller Staff Member: Maria Cimino