Military ball marks end of successful year

Attendees of the Military Ball pose for a picture to commemorate the evening.

Courtesy of Major Clacks

Courtesy of Major Clacks

Courtesy of Major Clacks

On Saturday, April 13, the THS Hillers Battalion attended the sixth annual Military Ball. The ball was held at the DoubleTree Hotel in Southpointe and was attended by all members of the JROTC program. In addition, parents, dates, military personnel and a guest speaker were also in attendance. The event was planned out by cadets in the positions of Battalion Commander, Executive Officer, Command Sergeant Major, as well as the S1-S5 positions.

The military ball holds significance in several different regards. Military balls are a tradition amongst all branches of the armed services, as well as in college ROTC programs. While the goal of the event is to demonstrate the core values of the army, it also celebrates all of the accomplishments JROTC students have made throughout the year.

Sophomore Abby Powell accomplished leading her first drill competition event, as well as participating in several color guard events, and was promoted to Alpha Company Commander for the next school year.

Sophomore Brenden Kosey cites participating in the drill competition, raider competition and color guard events throughout the year as accomplishments. He was promoted to the new Command Sergeant Major for the upcoming school year.

Sophomore Lily Hefner describes the event, overall, as a “big celebration.”

The event begins with a receiving line and is followed by the introduction of the head table. The head table is set up to recognize people who are important to the program and consisted of cadet Battalion Commander Michael Plants and his date, Superintendent Dr. Lucas, Mrs. Clacks, Major Clacks, Sergeant Major Harper, Mrs. O’Neal, Representative Tim O’Neal, as well as Command Sergeant Major Hailey Scott and her date. After the introduction of the head table, the benediction occurs and is followed by Color Guard, Honor Guard, Senior recognition and dinner. After dinner, speeches, awards, new position announcements, and dancing ensue.

Cadet Hefner says “she enjoys announcing the new positions for the upcoming school year the most”, while Senior Michael Plants says “he likes hearing the student speeches.”

Additionally, several traditions are conducted at the event. The missing man table honors fallen soldiers, and the cake cutting is performed by the youngest cadet and the guest speaker for the evening. Both an Honor Guard and Color Guard are present. Cadets Julian Burchett, Brenden Kosey, Jaidyn Sebetich, and Noah Evans participated in

the color guard. Freshman Jaidyn Sebetich was the first female to participate in the Color Guard at a THS JROTC Military Ball. Cadets Gio Sasselli, Jesus Delgado, Dakota McWee, Joe Migyanko, Luke Decker and Noah Evans composed the Honor Guard.

Cadet Plants says that he feels Military Ball is similar to a send-off for the Seniors and is a great time to reflect on all of the accomplishments throughout his time in JROTC.

Students interested in joining JROTC next year should talk to Major Clacks or Sergeant Major Harper.