“Hillers take the high ground”

The+Raider+Team+at+Slippery+Rock+University+March+16%2C+2019.+The+team+received+3rd+place.+

“Hillers take the high ground”

The Raider Team at Slippery Rock University March 16, 2019. The team received 3rd place.

Rachael Chase

Rachael Chase

Rachael Chase

On Saturday, March 16, THS JROTC cadets placed third in the Raider Team competition. The competition was held at Slippery Rock University. Throughout the competition, cadets work to compete in various physical challenges. Sophomore Brenden Kosey was the captain of the team, and Eric Melman, Luke Decker, Julian Burchett, Jillian Sander, Hailey Scott, Michaela Hull, Brenden Dayton, Gio Sasselli and Noah Evans all participated in the competition as well.

To practice for this event, the team met after school and performed each event with the same process that occurs during the competition.

Throughout the competition, cadets participate in five different events. They begin with the PT Test, which involves two minutes of push-ups and two minutes of sit-ups. The score is calculated by the cumulative number of sit-ups and push-ups the team does.

Following the PT Test, cadets perform a three kilometer run, which is scored by the time it takes the entire team to complete the run. Next, cadets complete the Gauntlet. In this event, the cadets carry a 25 pound rucksack, run up a quarter-mile ski slope, run one mile at the top of the ski slope, run back down the ski slope and then complete a 25 foot low crawl. This event is also scored based on time.

After the Gauntlet, cadets complete the one rope bridge, which involves tying a rope between two trees and then going across on the rope. Finally, the cadets perform the Cross Country Rescue. This event includes first-aid practice, climbing an eight foot wall and running a mile-long course while carrying 25 pound rucksacks and a 75 pound model stretcher. Both the one rope bridge and the Cross Country Rescue are scored based on time.

In order to complete all of the events, the cadets have to push and encourage each other.

According to Senior Michael Plants, the team “always sticks together and cheers each other on.”

Plants also said that after completing all of the events, the cadets feel a strong sense of accomplishment.

Kosey says the benefits of participating include “becoming physically fit, pushing yourself mentally and learning team cohesion.”

He also says the experience “was a blast” because “everyone puts aside their differences to focus on a common goal.”

Students wishing to participate in the Raider Team competition should talk to Sergeant Major Harper or Major Clacks about joining JROTC.

• Teacher Talk

What’s not to love about musical theater?

• “Hillers take the high ground”

Feature Articles

Classic Easter traditions

• “Hillers take the high ground”

Meet the Teacher

Q & A with Mrs. Bennett

• “Hillers take the high ground”

Student of the Month

Student of the month: April

• “Hillers take the high ground”

Feature Articles

Odyssey of the Mind advances to state tournament

• “Hillers take the high ground”

Feature

Breea Gray Reaches for National Speech & Debate Competition

• “Hillers take the high ground”

Pet of the Month

Pet of the Month

• “Hillers take the high ground”

Feature Articles

Three schools, two countries, one person: Devanshi Joshi

• “Hillers take the high ground”

Feature Articles

Marino receives Wrestling Assistant Coach of the Year award

• “Hillers take the high ground”

Meet the Teacher

Q&A with Mrs. Berty

“Hillers take the high ground”