Clock begins ticking toward election time

Pictured above is Democrat candidate Beto O'Rourke, who announced his intention to run for president in late February 2019.

US Government [Public domain]

In a little more than a year-and-a-half, the 2020 presidential election will commence and United States voters will fulfill their civic duty and determine the next leader of the country. Over the recent weeks, several familiar faces in the political realm have announced their intentions to run for President in 2020, including Beto O’Rourke, Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders and Kamala Harris.

Many of the candidates in the primaries this election are from the Democratic party, which makes sense given that the current president is a Republican.

It is actually a common historical trend as Junior Elliott Salvatori explains: “I think it is because Trump, like most incumbent presidents in the past, is almost certainly going to win the primaries, so Republicans just aren’t running. The same thing happened when Obama was running for his second term, most of the presidential candidates were Republican.”

During the last presidential election and the midterm elections in 2018, social media attention has exacerbated the political tension to an extreme that Americans have not recovered from. Social media may not always be the most helpful medium of communication for a presidential candidate, but it is certainly efficient.

“It allows candidates to get their messages out, but it also allows them to get messages out that mean nothing,” shares Mr. Schwab, Economics teacher.

Several of the most popular topics for campaigns include medicare for everyone, eliminating the electoral college and taxing the wealthy more to give back to the poor. However, these issues may not be as pressing as others, such as education, general healthcare and trade.

There are a variety of candidates this election, from O’Rourke a Democrat from Texas to Sanders a seasoned Democrat from Vermont. Joining the predominantly male cohort is a female Democrat from California, Kamala Harris, adamant about advocating for the American people.

After the 2016 elections, it was noted that the majority of people aged 18-25 did not vote. Many people are hoping that this will not be the case in 2020.

“I think [more 18-25 year olds will vote] just because of how polarized the political system has become with Trump and democrats. There will most likely be a democratic pushback with younger voters,” hypothesizes Senior Ope Esan.

Though it is too soon to predict how the 2020 election will pan out, it is likely to be highly publicized, so be sure to keep an eye on the news for updates as they roll in.

• Clock begins ticking toward election time

News

Inhibition in recycling leads to innovation in communities

• News

Admissions scandal still affects teenage influencers

News

Trinity congratulates Scholastic art, writing winners

News

Trinity nurses receive generous donations

• News

Inspire US comes to Trinity

News

Scheduling time begins again

News

Luiselli speaks to Trinity students about the immigration crisis

News

Fab lab gets upgrades

News

Speech and debate season soars

News

The Candy Conundrum