Odyssey of the Mind advances to state tournament

Members of Odessey-of-the-Mind take a picture together

Olympus Staff

Olympus Staff

Olympus Staff

A journey of self discovery guided by the principles of critical thinking, cooperation and candor: Trinity’s Odyssey of the Mind has encompassed this creed throughout generations of students.

Over the last six months, students with a multitude of skills converged to create a team of seven students driven by the pursuit of development. Trinity School District has two divisions of Odyssey of the Mind: high school and middle school. Both teams have exerted confidence in their abilities and the creative ingenuity necessary to excel even in the presence of deliberate or spontaneous conflicts. Values of cooperation, leadership, and resilience are installed throughout the deliberation process and will remain intact for years to come.   

The Odyssey of the Mind is the world’s longest-running organization dedicated to facilitating growth and enhancing critical thinking skills of the nation’s youth. The organization presented five problems to the divisions that would challenge the teams to work together to solve a problem relying solely on their own ingenuity and ingenious.

This year the five problems included: vehicle, technical, classics, structure, and performance. The objective is to target every aspect of the mind from creativity in the right hemisphere to rationality in the left hemisphere. The students who choose to challenge themselves and their peers make up teams of OMers, a reference to the organization, and take on one of the five challenges that best suit the diverse qualifications of the team.

Odyssey of the Mind Inc. released a statement that provided a synopsis of their objective with regards to their impractical problems: “Our problems are not ‘practical’. We do not teach OMers how to solve A Problem, we teach them how to be Problem Solvers!”

This development in character will aid the students on their journey through life and prove to be advantageous in the near future.

Freshmen Natalie Johnson, Marah Pegram, Meredith Bryant, and Dan Horne along with Sophomores Alyssa Garner, Elle Rush, and Dylan Markworth were presented with the series of problems listed prior and had to create a solution together. The team chose to tackle the long-term problem “Hide In Plain Sight” where they had to build a mechanical creature that could hide in plain sight.

After weeks of hard work and deliberation, the team qualified for the state tournament after advancing in the regional competition held at Keystone Oaks on March 2, 2019. The state tournament is scheduled to occur on April 5-6, 2019, at the Pocono Mountain School District.

Odyssey of the Mind is not limited to the high school level as students from the middle school exhibit key characteristics that define future leaders. Growth is fostered at any age and the students that make up the middle school’s team have saturated their schedule with activities that facilitate forgotten values of diligence and resilience.

Odyssey of the Mind Sponsor Mrs. Berty recalls the growth that she has witnessed: “It has been a  joy to watch them grow into young adults.”

As the season draws to a close, the Odyssey of the Mind students will continue to utilize the values they were taught during their competitions in academics and extracurriculars.