Trinity congratulates Scholastic art, writing winners

Sophomore Emma Malinak

Sophomore Emma Malinak

Sophomore Emma Malinak

Sophomore Emma Malinak

When some students hear the words art and writing, they let out a long sigh and roll their eyes. However, for students like Emma Malinak and Chelsea Johns, art and writing are a talent that they welcome rather than run from.

Sophomore Emma Malinak first found out about the Scholastic Art and Writing contest in middle school through the gifted enrichment program. Ever since then, she has continued to enter the competition. Malinak’s most recent submission, a poem titled “Is That Too Much To Ask” was what won her the 2019 contest.

“I’ve always enjoyed writing poetry; I think it’s the perfect creative outlet to express your thoughts and ideas. My main source of inspiration and encouragement to write comes from my favorite authors,” stated Malinak.

Her inspiration behind the poem came to her when she was watching the news. As she learned more and more about our changing country, she was fascinated by how many controversies surround the government and society. She feels that some of these problems could be solved by simple actions, which would include: acceptance, kindness, and respect. The main focus of her poem is to make a difference in the world.

“I find it to be an honor to be awarded alongside other brilliant artists and writers from across the country,” said Malinak.

Malinak is highly honored to be a part of an organization that honors and listens to the voices of young minds. It’s an experience that she’ll never take for granted. Her hope is that others are willing to share their voices, whether it be through the competition or through practicing their skills.

Sophomore Chelsea Johns won the competition in the art category. Johns found out about the contest through a friend, and Mrs. Bennett recommended her to do it. She only submitted work that she had done in class; one of them was a ceramic piece and the other was a pencil sketch. Her sketch was the piece that won her the competition overall. The inspiration behind the drawing was the singer from a band she likes, Cavetown. It is a sketch of him and the background includes the titles of songs and lyrics that have been sung by the band.

Sophomore Chelsea Johns

“I didn’t really like the picture to be honest. My favorite thing I submitted was my ceramic piece. I just decided to submit a ton of pieces to raise the chances of winning,” said Johns.

She discovered that the reason why she enjoys art so much is because of the painter, Bob Ross; it is his artistic ability that inspired her. One of the experiences Johns said she took away from this was the prize of one hundred dollars.

The ability to write and create art is a valuable talent. Trinity would like to congratulate Emma Malinak and Chelsea Johns for winning a gold key in the arts and writing award from Scholastic.