Three schools, two countries, one person: Devanshi Joshi

Freshman Devanshi Joshi smiles for a picture.

Gina Gossett

Gina Gossett

Gina Gossett

The prerogative of every secondary institution is to prepare students both in academics and societal challenges near and far. Trinity High School has expanded the Foreign Exchange Program within recent years to include students from diverse backgrounds among them Germany, Brazil, and as of recently, India.

Freshman Devanshi Joshi, a student who is native to the westernmost state of India, Gujarat, has been enrolled in the United States education system for the last year as she moved from New Jersey to Pennsylvania. Three academic institutions later, Devanshi has found a community where she has received the assistance necessary to acclimate to a new environment.

Among her voyage, she has been subjected to minor speech barriers and cultural differences yet the assistance she has received while at our school has been better than any other school she has enrolled in.

She accounts that the majority of the culture shock she experienced stems from differences in consumerism: “Here, there are Walmarts and Aldis but in India, we had street markets.”

This difference is one that many will face in new environments as countries have distinct characteristics that make them culturally diverse and truly mesmerizing. In India, traditional customs including the use of costumes for celebrations bring many natives, among them Devanshi, enjoyment. She enjoys the traditions of her native home and seeks comfort being closer to her family where her native tongue, Gujarati, has not been forgotten despite their new location.

Certain societal issues in India cause Devanshi to recall that “India is different because it is less clean but our Prime Minister is prepared to clean the area up. In the United States, everything is already clean and nice.”

These differences, however, do not impact Devanshi’s fond memories of her home where she would play cricket with her companions and rewatch her favorite romantic movie, “Baaghi 3.”

Our countries may be isolated in geographical location, however, a universal quality transcends borders: hope.

Devanshi is hopeful that she can acclimate into the community and make friendships that endure the test of time. She is fond of both the community and the teachers she has met as well as the assistance that she has received since her arrival. She looks forward to learning more about American culture and becoming involved in the community and the school.

Upon graduation, she aspires to be a civil engineer as she hopes to construct new facilities in the community.