Music thrives at THS

Recently, several THS students participated in District Orchestra, PMEA Honors Band, PMEA District Band, County Band, Country Choir and PMEA District Chorus. All of these events are based on paper applications and auditions. Students apply and are chosen by the event host. All of these events are open to orchestra, band or choir students, and they occur once per year.

At each event, students rehearse with a guest conductor who is usually from a nearby college. Events end with a performance that family and friends can attend. Students perform various types of music, including modern, classical and contemporary arrangements. Typically, music choice is up to the guest conductor.

Junior Alison Spadaro and Sophomore Emma Malinak participated in District Orchestra at North Allegheny High School. Additionally, Freshmen Meredith Bryant and Sydney Garrett will be participating in the upcoming Jr. High District Orchestra at Upper St. Clair High School.

According to Mr. Conkle, these events give participants a chance to “perform with students from other schools, experience different repertoire, perform under different conductors and gain new knowledge.”

Junior Evelyn Flickinger was chosen to participate in PMEA Honors Band, which was an audition-only event.

Flickinger also attended PMEA District Band with Senior Lauren Turturice, which was both an audition and paper application event.

Mr. Hilty says these events provided “more enrichment” as well as “another perspective.”

Also, 30 band and choir students attended the County Band and Choir festival at Burgettstown High School. This was a two day event and included both a guest band conductor and a guest choir conductor.

Sophomore Rachel Faust participated in PMEA District Chorus at Mt. Lebanon High School. This was an audition-only event, and Faust earned second chair in the event. She will be moving on to regional choir at Greater Latrobe High School. If she is in the top six chairs, she will advance to all-state choir.

Freshmen Will Sutherland, Ethan Iams and Meghan Artuso will be attending Jr. High District Choir.

Mr. Komula says these events provide a “chance to be exposed to college conductors and higher level music.”

Music students have worked hard for the events that have occured this year and are looking forward to future events and opportunities.