Fab lab gets upgrades

Fab lab gets upgrades

These 3-D printers are just two examples of the new technology and machines that will be available for all students and teachers to use in the near future.

McKenna Hoffman

McKenna Hoffman

McKenna Hoffman

The THS Fab Lab soon will be receiving new machinery due to a recent grant from Local Share. Local Share uses money from casino-generated revenue and provides it to schools in educational grants. Updates will renovate the Fab Lab to make it more functional and user-friendly for both students and teachers.

According to Mr. Samosky, the goal of the Fab Lab updates will be to provide “the best tools for students to use and apply.”

The Fab Lab first came to THS three years ago and contains drafting software, 3D printers, laser engravers, vinyl cutters and a CNC router.

The Fab Lab will receive a brand new laser cutter, which will be larger and more powerful. It will also be able to engrave more types of materials such as metals and industrial plastics. There will also be an addition of two new 3D printers, which will be able to print two different types of materials at the same time. The old 3D printers will be distributed to the elementary schools, which will then ensure every elementary school has a 3D printer. Also, a new vinyl printer, shopbot rotary lay and small desktop milling machine will be arriving.

Mr. Crissman says students who would like to complete a project in the Fab Lab do not need to be enrolled in classes involving the Fab Lab; they just need to have an idea.

In the past, students have made everything from board games, engraved cups, battle bot prototypes and circuit boards. Some students have even created items to promote their small business, such as logos or apparel. There are a multitude of graphic design tools to aid with this. Additionally, physics classes sometimes use the Fab Lab to produce a model or a prototype in order to experiment and test theories.  

According to Mr. Coyle, the Fab Lab provides “skill and insight student’s wouldn’t otherwise have,” and he believes “there are a variety of unique courses for any student wanting to take advantage of them, that ultimately produce a better graduate.”

Coyle also says that it provides an “environment to learn about producing something tangible, as well as equipment for coursework, an enrichment project, and even fundraisers,” as he feels challenge-based learning is the future of education.

He recommends taking one of Crissman’s classes to learn more about the technology, but it is not a requirement to use the Fab Lab.

Samosky says the Fab Lab will provide “practical skills for those going straight into the working world,” and “expose our students to the tools that are being used in today’s workforce.”

Students interested in using the Fab Lab to create something should see Mr. Crissman, Mr. Coyle, Mr. Prentice or Mrs. Hartley.

• Fab lab gets upgrades

News

Scheduling time begins again

• Fab lab gets upgrades

News

Luiselli speaks to Trinity students about the immigration crisis

• Fab lab gets upgrades

News

Speech and debate season soars

• Fab lab gets upgrades

News

The Candy Conundrum

• Fab lab gets upgrades

News

Sweethearts are breaking hearts on Valentine’s Day

• Fab lab gets upgrades

News

College begins to creep up on high school juniors

• Fab lab gets upgrades

News

HOSA takes Trinity by storm

• Fab lab gets upgrades

News

Washington’s Got Talent

• Fab lab gets upgrades

News

Hiller becomes a member of TASD staff

• Fab lab gets upgrades

News

Environmental club collects makeup

Fab lab gets upgrades