Trinity baseball swings for deep run into playoffs

Junior+catcher+Jax+Banco+prepares+himself+to+slide+into+third+base+in+a+game+for+the+Hillers+last+season.+

Junior catcher Jax Banco prepares himself to slide into third base in a game for the Hillers last season.

Courtesy of Olympus

Courtesy of Olympus

Courtesy of Olympus

Unless members of the team are playing year-round, the end of January/beginning of February is the time of year when baseball players become desperate to hear that heavenly sound of balls snapping into their gloves. After a first round exit in the playoffs last year, the Trinity varsity baseball team already has motivation to get back to that point and go beyond.

The seniors on the team this year are Clarence Pomykala, Camden Zaken, Abram King, Jared Watson, Nathan Fetcho and AD Nelson. For these seniors, this is their last chance to make a playoff run, which is ultimately, the goal of the team.

For the first time, the baseball team is travelling to Florida for “Spring Training.” Major League teams travel to the warm states of Arizona and Florida every year around this time, so partaking in this allows the team to get a glimpse of the life of a professional baseball player. The team will be in Florida from March 21-24 and will play one scrimmage game plus three non-section games. All of the boys are looking forward to Florida, as this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

“I’m excited to spend time with the team and get better as a whole,” stated Sophomore Brandon Robaugh.

“I’m ready to be able to play baseball in warm weather compared to PA,” commented Senior Camden Zaken.

Also for the first time this year, the team will get to play games at Ross Memorial Park, W&J’s turf field. The team had been playing their games at the Wild Things’ stadium. A new contract was unable to be negotiated, so the boys had no options left but to play at Trinity South. Ross Memorial Park is similar to the Wild Things’ stadium in that the field is entirely artificial turf. Many of the players are very excited to be back to playing on a turf field.

“At W&J we can play rain or shine. The team will be better because the hops will be smoother,” added Robaugh.

The team is also excited to announce that it has two seniors who will be playing baseball in college. King has committed to Pitt Greensburg, and Zaken has committed to Penn State New Kensington. It is always great to see high school students continuing to play sports in college, and to have two commit before the season has begun is even better!

The team opens its regular season in PA on March 27 at Waynesburg Central. The first home game will be two days later against Ringgold at 5:00 p.m. Be sure to make it out to W&J and support the boys this season!

“I think we are going to shock a lot of teams and be better than everyone expects,” added Robaugh.

• Trinity baseball swings for deep run into playoffs

Spring

King takes field for Pitt-Greensburg

Spring

Twinsies! Track runs in Gandy blood

Spring

Bailey Bell makes plans to hit home runs into her future

• Spring

Major League Baseball gears up for long season

Spring

Cailey Dahlquist qualifies for Junior Olympics

Spring

Ultimate Frisbee team flings into season

• Spring

March Madness takes over

Spring

Boy’s Volleyball attack their spring season

Spring

Boys Tennis serves up

Spring

Track team prepares for spring season