Holiday Haggling

Everyone gets excited while counting down the minutes until holiday break. At the beginning of the school year, students tirelessly wait for the traditional holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. However, it’s a rare occasion for anyone to look forward to holidays like French Toast Day or even National Bicarbonate of Soda Day. It may be because the public doesn’t know about them or because they sound too ridiculous to be considered true. But, the truth of the matter is that there’s something to celebrate every single day.

Holidayinsights.com is a website that shows every scheduled official holiday for all 365 days of the year. The number of holidays one can search for are endless and are entirely diverse. The spontaneous ideas designated for each day can range from plain and simple like Button Day, or they can be as zany and obscure as National Chocolate Covered Anything Day. The most riveting element of it all is that there are so many holidays in a year, especially because the process of getting holidays declared can be a tedious chore.

First, one must come up with a central idea, name, and date. After this point has been reached, a “bill” of sorts must be in order. The “bill” is just a written document that proclaims the information of the designated day. Once the bill has been written it must be sent to a local city council where it will be approved and created. That’s where many hit the “holiday haze.” Unfortunately, in the eyes of the public office naming these holidays is not a top priority, meaning that it could take years before anything even crosses the desk of an elected official. However, if someone would like to take their idea further the process doesn’t end there. After their write up has been approved locally, they can also get it approved by the state and then the federal government.

Although the process is both difficult and lengthy, having a personalized, meaningful holiday declared nationally is worth the wait. And not only is having your own holiday an accomplishment, but it is definitely something to celebrate!

Holiday Haggling