Is Daylight Savings Time still needed?

“Spring forward, fall back!” This phrase has filled the houses of many American citizens for over 50 years. This cheery saying is the colloquial equivalent to Daylight Saving Time, the advancing of clocks by one hour in the spring to increase daylight hours in the summer. This is followed by the withdrawal of that hour in the fall to compensate for the shorter daylight hours in the winter.

Most people today, especially those born in the 1970s or after, may not even remember a time where Daylight Saving Time didn’t exist. But that does not mean it remains necessary to life today. In fact, some states no longer use it, including Hawaii and Arizona.

Most people today don’t actually get up at two o’clock in the morning to change the clocks, but rather do it either the day before or the day after.

“Sometimes it’s just easier to subtract an hour for a few months- then it goes back to normal,” explains Senior Jackson MacTaggart.

According to History.com, Daylight Saving Time did not begin with the American farming community pushing for more time on the farm. Actually, it was more of a nuisance to them as they followed the sun’s schedule, not the actual time.

The initial implementation of this measure was actually on March 31, 1918, and was meant to aid the US effort in World War I, by cutting citizens’ power usage to save money and energy. It was repealed in 1919, though a few cities still used it. It was nationalized again during World War II to save energy and money for the war effort. It did not become standardized until 1966 with the Uniform Time Act, because most states and counties were choosing to begin Daylight Saving Time whenever they wished.

Due to modern technological advances, many people don’t believe that Daylight Saving Time is actually relevant in today’s world. There are plenty of pieces of technology available, both to help automatically adjust the time if needed or to act as energy savers.

“I don’t think we need it anymore. With all the technology available, it doesn’t really matter as much,” shares Herr McLaughlin, German teacher.

Others may believe, despite a lack of conclusive evidence, that Daylight Saving Time is conserving energy and aiding the environment. As explained on History.com, only one percent of electricity savings can be attributed to Daylight Savings Time.

That being said, it is a common belief that humans should be doing everything possible to protect Earth from future harm, so some believe that Daylight Saving Time is a way to do it.

“Ideally daylight savings prevents excess energy consumption in the evening, but I think we need to look at states like Arizona that don’t practice DST to see how that theory holds up,” states Senior Quinten Harrison.

Whether or not Daylight Savings Time remains in 20 or 30 years cannot be predicted, but it is clear that there are valid benefits and drawbacks in both keeping and removing it.

Is Daylight Savings Time still needed?