The Candy Conundrum

The Candy Conundrum

John Hritz from Ann Arbor, MI, USA [CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

It’s February 15, the day after Valentine’s Day, and shoppers are flooding to stores in flocks. Why? Two words, discounted candy. The holiday rush is over and now stores have to get rid of their Valentine’s Day candy. So, what’s a store to do? Sell the products at a discounted rate in order to clear the shelves and clear them quickly. However, it’s practically impossible to sell every single cheesy, heart-shaped bundle and it can leave one wondering what happens with all the leftover morsels after the sales? This is where questioning consumers run into the “candy conundrum.”

It’s actually all pretty simple. The whole process starts with an immediate price reduction following Valentine’s Day, and then from that point on the price continues to be marked down. Within a few days after Valentine’s Day to about a few weeks after, all themed candies can be anywhere from twenty-five to seventy-five percent off. However, there is a maximum as to how much items can be discounted, and once this peak has been reached that’s where things can get a little tricky. After the minimum selling price of a product has been reached, all themed confectionaries, if not already sold, must be taken off of the shelves. What happens from there is up to either the business or the corporation the store is owned by. However, it has been noted that the “general consensus” for businesses getting rid of unwanted candy is to donate it to a local charity or food pantry. Some communities even have a collective organization that sorts the goods before they are donated. In fact, some local businesses in Washington County are part of a collective organization.

Strabane Square’s Giant Eagle Manager supported the “universal acceptance” mentioned above by stating that most local stores participate in a program that reclaims the sweets, sort the candy and then evenly distribute them to various charities and organizations.

Several other stores, who preferred to remain anonymous, also participate in the reclaiming program. It’s nice to know that most holiday candy in the Washington area is donated to people in need. How sweet!

• The Candy Conundrum

News

Scheduling time begins again

• The Candy Conundrum

News

Luiselli speaks to Trinity students about the immigration crisis

• The Candy Conundrum

News

Fab lab gets upgrades

• The Candy Conundrum

News

Speech and debate season soars

• The Candy Conundrum

News

Sweethearts are breaking hearts on Valentine’s Day

• The Candy Conundrum

News

College begins to creep up on high school juniors

• The Candy Conundrum

News

HOSA takes Trinity by storm

• The Candy Conundrum

News

Washington’s Got Talent

• The Candy Conundrum

News

Hiller becomes a member of TASD staff

• The Candy Conundrum

News

Environmental club collects makeup

The Candy Conundrum