Valentine’s Day struggles strike again

Valentine’s Day struggles strike again

Roses are an excellent, but simple, way to tell your Valentine just how much you love and appreciate them.

Montanabw, from Wikimedia Commons

Montanabw, from Wikimedia Commons

Montanabw, from Wikimedia Commons

For most people, Valentine’s Day may conjure images of roses, chocolate and romantic dinners with someone special. However, for those that may not have a significant other (whether by choice or not) it sometimes can be a more somber occasion. Regardless of whether or not you have a partner, celebrating Valentine’s Day can be full of uncertainty. Perhaps the following tips will provide some useful advice.

Just because a person is single does not mean that he or she must celebrate Valentine’s alone, or avoid celebrating at all. There is nothing wrong with enjoying a night out with other single friends, colloquially “Galentine’s Day” or less commonly, “Brolentine’s Day” for guys. Any chance to spend time with those you love should be celebrated, no matter the type of relationship.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with taking the evening to have a quiet night in. Watching a movie, ordering takeout or taking a nap are all great ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day without even needing another person. Don’t worry too much about what others may think; it is no one else’s concern how you choose to celebrate.

One caveat to the above point is that a single person should also be careful not diminish the celebration for others. There is nothing wrong with arranging a single rose to be sent to your partner every hour or creating a notecard-style declaration of love à la Love Actually. If big gestures are how you show your partner how much he or she means to you, then so be it.

Though some of the specificities of the holiday celebration may change for those in a relationship, the gist remains the same: enjoy spending time with who you love and doing what makes you happy.

If you and your significant other have agreed that you want to do something romantic for Valentine’s Day, try your best not to forget. Write a note, set a reminder on your phone if needed; just don’t forget. Don’t be afraid to put plenty of thought into gift or dinner date ideas, it proves that you care about your partner.

Also, don’t feel pressured to make a big deal about Valentine’s Day on social media. In today’s day and age, it is highly uncommon to see a Valentine’s Day pass without a horde of digital “I love you’s”. But if it is preferable to keep those sorts of messages private, then that’s fine, too.

Below are some examples of appropriate and inappropriate Valentine’s gifts if you’re feeling stuck:

Appropriate:

Flowers, chocolate, a card

A romantic dinner

A giant teddy bear

Inappropriate:

Nothing

Coupon book (cheesy and lame)

A serenade from a barber shop quartet

Moral of the story: no matter what you choose to do, no matter how you choose to celebrate, no matter who you choose to celebrate with, just have fun and do what makes you feel comfortable.

• Valentine’s Day struggles strike again

Editorial

Seniors are diving to an end

• Opinion

WWCD?

• Opinion

Senior Survey Questions

Opinion

Dad jokes are thriving

Opinion Articles

Splitting Debate: How to prepare banana splits

• Opinion

WWCD?

Opinion

Senioritis in full swing

• Opinion

Prom fashion promises to be spectacular

Opinion Articles

Reality TV is ruining pop culture

Editorial

Is cheating worth it?

Valentine’s Day struggles strike again