College begins to creep up on high school juniors

Juniors Julia Becker, Jonah Spencer and Mia Shrum demonstrate the stresses that will soon be felt by those that have yet to begin the college application process.

Maria Cimino

Maria Cimino

Maria Cimino

School work, after-school activities, a social life, or maybe even an after-school job; these are all significant portions of the life of a high school junior. But there may be something that is missing from this list: applying to college.

College is one of those things that many students have constantly looming over their heads throughout high school, but never really give much thought to, prior to senior year, that is.

Starting the process as early as junior year of high school can help alleviate some of the stresses that students are likely to experience. This is a lesson that many students may learn “in hindsight” as opposed to when they actually need it.

Junior Elizabeth Steele shares some common concerns, “I’m worried that my grades and GPA will not be high enough to get accepted and they won’t be high enough to get scholarships. I’m also worried about the essays and other application requirements.”

Procrastination is something to be avoided when possible. Starting the early stages of applications now will not do any harm, and will prevent any “day before the deadline” panicking.

“Applying to colleges is extremely time consuming. Don’t be like me and wait until your senior year to begin researching colleges. Start now and have a solid foundation. It’ll cause a lot less stress in the future,” shares Senior, and current college applicant, Corie Miller.

Writing essays may not rank very high on any high school students to-do list, yet it is one of the more valuable portions of a college application. Essays are the applicant’s chance to share something with the admissions team about themselves that cannot be described through transcripts or SAT scores, typically within a 500 word limit. Current juniors should not feel that they must wait to start writing; the earlier, the better.

However, this does not mean that SAT scores and transcripts are not important. Certain colleges may list a range of SAT scores or GPAs that “their students typically fit into.” This does not mean that students that do not lie within those ranges cannot apply or will not be accepted but it is something worth considering.

It can be difficult to remember where transcripts and score reports must be sent from so that colleges can get them quickly and easily. Thankfully, Trinity students can use Naviance as a resource to submit any documents necessary for their applications. Naviance also provides one place for students to search for colleges, scholarships and majors.

“Juniors should really become familiar with Naviance. It is a great college and career planning tool,” explains Ms. Burns, guidance counselor.

Though there will be other concerns down the road,  high school juniors should know that starting now and building a good foundation while applying to colleges will go a long way.

• College begins to creep up on high school juniors

News

Scheduling time begins again

News

Luiselli speaks to Trinity students about the immigration crisis

News

Fab lab gets upgrades

News

Speech and debate season soars

News

The Candy Conundrum

News

Sweethearts are breaking hearts on Valentine’s Day

News

HOSA takes Trinity by storm

News

Washington’s Got Talent

News

Hiller becomes a member of TASD staff

News

Environmental club collects makeup