Washington’s Got Talent

Washington’s Got Talent

Washington’s Got Talent is hosting another talent show at the end of January. Teenagers around the county have the opportunity to show off their unique talents in front of an audience and judges in hopes to come out on top. Apart from participants competing for a grand prize, they are also helping to contribute to a cause. All proceeds for the competition will go to Washington Health System Teen Outreach.

Washington Health System Teen Outreach provides many services such as the Pregnant and Parenting Teen program, ECHO (Educate Children for Healthy Outcomes), POWER (sexuality education in schools), Peer Education and the Common Ground Teen Center. Several Trinity students are able to compete and help raise money.

Trinity students Maria Cimino, Mackenzie Coyle, Marissa McCracken, Brett Phillips, Anna Johnson, Sydney Abbondanza and Marissa Sprouse were chosen to compete this year. Senior Maria Cimino and 8th-grader Anna Johnson will be performing a tap number with their friends from Canon Mac, Junior Mackenzie Coyle will go solo with a dancing performance, 8th-grader Brett Phillips will be playing the piano, Sophomores Sydney Abbondanza and Marissa Sprouse will be performing a contortion dance and Sophomore Marissa McCracken will perform a contortion piece.  

Cimino has competed in WGT for three years. This is her last year performing with her best friends and it will be emotional for her. She dances to almost all genres of dance offered at her studio, but tap has always stood out. For Cimino, performing on stage is a great experience because she gets to do it with the people she loves.

Cimino stated, “We are dancing to ‘Seven Nation Army’ by the White Stripes. We chose an instrumental version because we want the focus to be on our taps and this song offers a basic background beat.”

Coyle is dancing in WGT for the first time, but she does dance competitions for her dance studio. She is doing a contemporary piece to the song “Never Enough” from “The Greatest Showman.” She picked this song because she dances to it several hours a week and can never get enough of it.

When asked about what made her want to audition, Coyle said, “I wanted to audition because I like being involved in community activities, especially when it allows me to share my love for dance.”

McCracken will be bending all different ways in her contortion piece. She performs other genres of dance, but contortion is her strong suit. This is her second year competing and she is hoping she will do better than last year.

McCracken stated, “I am always excited to perform and show my talent. Not a lot of people do contortion in the competition, so I am ready to show them what I can do!”

Washington’s Got Talent will be January 27 at Canon McMillan High School at 1:30 p.m. Tickets can be bought online at www.washingtonsgottalent.com and at the show. Presale tickets are $20 for adults and $5 for children 18 and under. Trinity contestants are all excited to show off their talents and hopefully win the grand prize!

• Washington’s Got Talent

News

Scheduling time begins again

• Washington’s Got Talent

News

Luiselli speaks to Trinity students about the immigration crisis

• Washington’s Got Talent

News

Fab lab gets upgrades

• Washington’s Got Talent

News

Speech and debate season soars

• Washington’s Got Talent

News

The Candy Conundrum

• Washington’s Got Talent

News

Sweethearts are breaking hearts on Valentine’s Day

• Washington’s Got Talent

News

College begins to creep up on high school juniors

• Washington’s Got Talent

News

HOSA takes Trinity by storm

• Washington’s Got Talent

News

Hiller becomes a member of TASD staff

• Washington’s Got Talent

News

Environmental club collects makeup

Washington’s Got Talent