Trinity wrestling’s keys to success: loyalty, attitude, guts

Junior Cole Whitmer takes down opponent to advance to finals.

From running hills and lifting weights to perfecting technique and takedowns, Trinity wrestlers truly do it all.  The 2018-19 season began on November 17, and the wrestlers have been hard at work ever since.

As of January 7, Varsity’s record is 2-0, defeating Chartiers Valley and Moon Area  High School. This undefeated record reflects all that the wrestlers do day-to-day at practices and their diligence with the routine.  The typical two hour practices from Monday to Saturday consist of going over technique, old and new. The boys have some form of cardio or strength training, drills on takedowns and work on moves from top and bottom positions.  Live wrestling with other teammates is also incorporated to practice skills and gain experience before competing against other teams.

Anyone can go through the motions of the practices, but what differentiates Trinity from other schools are its dedicated athletes and coaches.  Varsity’s head coach is Mark Powell who is assisted by Jurdon Maier and Angelo Marino. Upperclassmen also help to motivate and guide the team. This season, the seniors are Erik Alvarez, Danny Boardley, Hunter Hickle, Ryan Hornickel, Chet Locy, A.D. Nelson, Dominic Quarture and Chris Reeves.  

“The program is defined by its motto: loyalty, attitude, and guts. The coaches work to instill each of these traits into the wrestlers during practices and competitions. The trait of loyalty stems from the 28 state champions, WPIAL champions, section champions and all former Trinity wrestling alumni that the program has had in its history. The attitude stems from working hard, coming together as a team and achieving goals. And the last trait of the motto, guts, deals with the toughness and perseverance that all Trinity wrestlers are expected to display,” expressed Marino.

The more eventful part of the season includes the many weekend tournaments.  The first tournament was at Gateway High School on December 7 and 8 where Trinity placed 8th out of 24 teams.  Junior Cole Whitmer won his 195 lb weight class while others who placed were Freshman Drew Cain, Sophomore Giani Martini, and Seniors Boardley and Quarture.  The Powerade was the following tournament on December 28 and 29, which is the third most difficult high school tournament in the United States. Trinity placed 34th out of a whopping 52 teams with stiff competition.  The most recent tournament was the TRICADA, which was hosted at Trinity on January 4 and 5. The 

team placed 3rd out of 20 teams with Whitmer winning his 195 lb weight class again and many placing: Sophomores Tyson Brophy, Nikko Martini, Giani Martini and Micah Finley; Junior James Porter; and Seniors Boardley and Nelson.  Tournaments yet to come are Top Gun in Alliance, Ohio, on January 18 and 19 and the Panther Classic on February 3 at Buckeye Local High School.

Boardley voiced, “I’m proud of the team this year and how well we’ve been doing at our tournaments.”

Individual tournaments start on February 23.  Each Varsity weight class will go to the section tournament and if any boys place in the top five, they will proceed to the WPIAL tournament at Canon Mac on March 1 and 2.  From here, if anyone places in the top four, they will got to Hershey Park for the PIAA state tournament March 7, 8 and 9, which is a very difficult mission to accomplish, but no one is doubting the Hillers this year.

There are still many Wednesday night matches left, including Senior Night on February 13, so jump in the fan section and cheer on the boys.