Midterms mark time of change

Midterms mark time of change

Eden, Janine and Jim from New York City

Eden, Janine and Jim from New York City

Eden, Janine and Jim from New York City

Another year of midterm elections has passed, but this year’s midterm election left noticeable results. This year’s election saw record numbers of voters, many of which were from the younger generations. Most notably,  the House of Representatives has shifted back to being Democratic, but the Senate stayed Republican. Eden, Janine and Jim from New York City

It can be hard to know what the change in the House will mean for our country and the impact it will have.

According to Mr. Schwab, “neither party will want to compromise, but it is good when things happen slowly because you get a better solution.”

He also pointed out that the government is more divided now, which may be beneficial to make sure one party doesn’t gain too much control.

“There will be anger either way,” said Mr. Polansky when discussing whether the change in the House will be helpful or harmful.

As Schwab pointed out, “Trump may be in trouble because the Democrats have subpoena power now.”

The effects of the shift in the House will be prevalent in the new few weeks and months as new bills and current issues are voted on.  Although one of the biggest effects of this election was the Democratic success in the House, there are many other noteworthy details. Other midterm issues included Democrats gaining seven governor seats, record numbers of women running for office, and voting opened to about 1.5 million felons. Because of the high amount of women who ran, some people are calling it “the year of the woman.”

Additionally, people voted on issues like carbon taxes, legalizing marijuana and redistricting. There has also been much talk about corrupt voting systems in several states. In the future, it is important that we continue to have record numbers of voters. Mr. Schwab pointed out that he felt the best way to continue with record numbers of voters would be to register people to vote as soon as they are born. Although this is currently not a system we have in place, it could be in the future.

But, as Polansky said, “younger people need to have more of a voice.”

This year’s midterms brought about several changes, and more changes will occur as the younger generations begin to have a more active voice in political issues.

• Midterms mark time of change

News

Scheduling time begins again

• Midterms mark time of change

News

Luiselli speaks to Trinity students about the immigration crisis

• Midterms mark time of change

News

Fab lab gets upgrades

• Midterms mark time of change

News

Speech and debate season soars

• Midterms mark time of change

News

The Candy Conundrum

• Midterms mark time of change

News

Sweethearts are breaking hearts on Valentine’s Day

• Midterms mark time of change

News

College begins to creep up on high school juniors

• Midterms mark time of change

News

HOSA takes Trinity by storm

• Midterms mark time of change

News

Washington’s Got Talent

• Midterms mark time of change

News

Hiller becomes a member of TASD staff

Midterms mark time of change